German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for an anwser to a question ---

The AKC requires a litter to be registered by 6 months of age. A litter can be registered late but I can't find anything that says how late. So can the litter be a year old, 18 months? There has to be a limit but I don't know what it is.

Any breeders know?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, an individual dog can be registered any time but I don't know about a breeder registering the litter. Different situation. I can't imagine AKC would allow a 3 year old litter to be registered.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
This is all I could find on their website:

Quote:Late Litter Application

Litter applications must be submitted to the AKC within six months of the date of birth of the litter. To apply for litter registration when the puppies are over six months, the litter owner must provide the following:
A properly completed Litter Registration Application.

Proper fee, including a late fee. (Fees are listed on the application)
If they don't specify an "end date" then I would say there isn't one.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I had a friend that reg. a litter (she wasn't the breeder but she wanted her dog to have papers so she paid for the reg. for the whole litter out of her pocket since the breeder wouldn't do it but would sign off on it) I believe they were over 2 yrs old at least

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I just got off the phone with AKC and the very nice man told me how to do that. You can do a litter registration for one puppy. The AKC has also agreed to waive the late fee for one puppy (mine). I have filled out the form already and am going to fax it to the breeder. I also emailed the stud owner to tell her about the problem as she also has to sign the form.

This is not a hard process for a breeder to do immediately like they are supposed to.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Kathy

Even the late fee is not all that much money

From Fee Schedule
Quote:penalty Fee for submitting a Litter registration
application over 6 months after the date of birth of the litter $65.00
I just don't understand some people

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Me either! The initial fee is 27 plus the 65 makes it just about 100. Then I have to register the individual dog on top of that.

Maybe this the way some breeders do it now to save money..... just put the buyer in the position to have to pay for it or it won't get done.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
*Edited to remove grievances concerning specific breeder. Please contact poster privately for additional information.*

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Kathy, I'm sorry to hear you're having such problems. I know I would not be too thrilled if it happened to me.

After hearing so many stories like this I was determined that Flirt's registration was coming home with me when I picked her up at 8 weeks. So much so, that I even paid in cash so that everything was complete. It turned out that I had nothing to worry about because my breeder turned out to be a Godsend. But I guess, you never can be too careful.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I can't imagine a breeder not registering the litter, it's so simple and very inexspensive, my God if they're trying to save money on THAT than what the **** are they feeding the dam and puppies, or are they being wormed and given puppy shots? Raising puppies isn't cheap, I know first hand, but believe me registering the litter is the least of it!!!!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sheilah per the AKC NO litters have been registerd for this dam. Tanner's litter was never registered either. I am going to email you the info packet I just sent off to the breeder.

Poor dog, Joe is calling him Muttley!!!! LO!!!

Have to find some humor in this. It is not the end of the world I can always ILP but it is a point of law as in breach of contract.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Wow Kathy. I am so sorry. I didn't know you were still having problems with Havoc's breeder. I kind of feel bad, since I recommended her to a couple people here after you got Havoc.

{{hugs}}

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
*Edited to remove details of grievances with specific breeder*

For anyone interested in any other details they may PM me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
*Edited to remove references to grievances with a specific breeder. Please contact poster privately for additional information.*

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
I have seen Kathy on this forum for a long time and I have never seen her engaged in any "trash" talk. You will notice that the dog's kennel name is NOT in her signature and she did not mention the breeder.

She is having a problem with AKC papers and asked for advice.

I think you owe her an apology. You appear to be the one trashing someone here, not her.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Originally Posted By: Betty101
Quote:We all know whom you are talking about KathyW

I didn't have a clue who the breeder was until your post!
I didn't know either.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
No specific breeder bashing allowed on this general board.

If you feel you have information about a particular breeder, people can PM you and it can be kept private. I can't edit any posting here, but I'm thinking some pruning will be done by someone who can.

GENERAL questions and situations are allowed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts