German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder that I got my super-puppy from has stated specifically in the contract that OFA x-rays are to be obtained by the time the pup is 24 months, and that the AKC registration papers must be sent in. RE: the OFA x-rays, the verbiage states, "The puppy's hips must be x-rayed by a licensed veterinarian certified and skilled at producing x-rays for OFA evaluation. The x-rays must be submitted to OFA."

This is all new to me. We chose this breeder solely based on the fact that my co-worker has a WONDERFUL GSD from Kuperhaus - fabulous temperament, well behaved, just a wonderful dog. I could care less about whether or not she's registered, or whether or not her hips are excellent, good, fair, etc. Plus, I'd rather her not be subjected to any unnecessary radiation. However, because I signed a contract I'll fulfill my end of it.

I'm in Atlanta, GA. I know that 24 months is a long way off, but I thought I'd do some investigating now. Any suggestions on what is the best way to proceed? Is there anything I need to be aware of with find a vet that handles these OFA x-rays?

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
This sort of requirement is not uncommon requirements for breeders, and IMO is a sign of a good breeder. :)

While you may not care if she is registered, breeders do. They want the permanent record of their lines. As far as OFAs, this is information very, very important to breeders because knowing how the hips and elbows turn out on their litters is important for making educated decisions in the future with regards to breeding lines related to your dog.

It is great that you are willing to fulfill the contract and I'm sure the breeder will appreciate that as well. The more dogs that are health tested, even if not breeding themselves, the more of that important information is available to the breeders and others considering purchasing or breeding a dog from those lines.

As far as the proceedure for doing the OFA x-rays, it is definitely a good idea to shop around for a vet to do them. Not all vets are created equal when it comes to taking proper x-rays with proper positioning, and bad x-rays are a waste of money and can skew the results. My experience is that there are very few "general practice" type vets who are really qualified to do these, though few will admit to that. A good way to find the right vet for the x-rays is to contact breeders or dog clubs in your area and ask for who they would recommend. Most areas seem to have a vet or two that everyone goes to for their OFAs, even if they don't use that vet for regular care. And with good reason. The experienced dog folks in your area will probably be able to point you in the right direction. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A good way to find the right vet for the x-rays is to contact breeders or dog clubs in your area and ask for who they would recommend. Most areas seem to have a vet or two that everyone goes to for their OFAs, even if they don't use that vet for regular care. And with good reason. The experienced dog folks in your area will probably be able to point you in the right direction. :)
Well, why didn't I think of that? Great suggestion. There is a very, very kind lady with GSDC of Atlanta that I bugged to death when we first got her back in February. I'll have to give her a call and ask.

Thanks again so much!

Got any suggestions on registering a name with the AKC papers? How do you pick out a name? "Sofie" doesn't exactly sound like a German name, eh?

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Got any suggestions on registering a name with the AKC papers? How do you pick out a name? "Sofie" doesn't exactly sound like a German name, eh?
I would talk to the breeder about choosing a name for the AKC paperwork, which would be her registered name. You can call her anything you want, including Sofie, and have a completely different name on her papers - most dogs have a call name and a registered name.

A lot of breeders have certain requirements when it comes to naming a puppy. They may want you to add their kennel name to her registered name - for example, if your dog's breeder's name is Kuperhaus, it may need to be "(Name) vom Kuperhaus". Some breeders want all dogs in a litter to have names that start with the same letter, too, so if this was the breeder's A litter, it may need to be a name that starts with A.

It's best to ask when in doubt. :)

AFAIK the name Sofie or Sofia is the German spelling of the Greek Sophia. The name became popular in England in the 1700's through Sophia of Hanover. (Sophia of Hanover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for info on her)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More good suggestions. The only stipulation by the breeder re: name is that whatever name we choose be followed with, "z. Kuper Haus" on the registration papers.

I guess I just need to get a little creative and put some thought into it. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a rhyme or reason to the names that are chosen. I've Googled around, and from what I can tell it's whatever you like, unless of course the breeder has a stipulation.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts