German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the pleasure of traveling via airplane from Los Angles to the east coast over the holidays. It was a family reunion, thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years all clumped together, which we do about every 5 years. Since everyone was going to be together, I ended up in the oversized bag area to check my bags, since they were stuffed with 5yrs worth it presents and random items, like some snowboarding gear. Anywho, apparently that is where United sends people to get the paperwork for service or therapy pets. I listened to some pretty asinine conversations while I was waiting to actually check my oversized luggage. I also saw some rather ridiculous behaviors, both with the pet, and their owner. What are some ridiculous things you’ve seen/heard while traveling?

one woman forced her nephew to come with her on a turn around flight, twice, because she had two dogs and didn’t want to board one of them, and they only allow one animal per person.
Another caused a scene because she was going to miss her flight because the line was so long, and she didn’t come hours before her flight, so she was harassing every agent she could find to allow her to cut the line to get to her flight on time, with her therapy bunny. Never found out if she made her flight, because every agent turned her down to cut to the front of the line.
2 small sized monkeys. Need I say more? Okay, I’ll say more. The people where talking to each other about their monkey’s, and one admitted she only got him for the attention and for the conversation she gets whenever anyone sees the monkey. She didn’t NEED a monkey, she wanted the attention.
One dog was clearly not good with crowds, it was cowering and shaking from head to paw. Poor guy! How could that possibly help anyone with emotional or physical needs when it was clearly in shut down mode himself.

it seems like people are just taking advantage of what some medically need to carry their pets with them everywhere, which is annoying, but flights?!? It’s becoming such a bigger problem as the years go by. Used to see maybe 1 or two during my years worth of air travel. It seems like now I see one or two people without some kind of pet ina carrier.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
A woman I talked to had a huge semi-trained German Shepherd. She had flown to Europe and taken her “service dog.” They got halfway there and her dog got anxious and misbehaved the entire rest of the flight. He probably needed to pee or something. She said the flight crew were very nice to her considering they realized she lied, but when they landed she was taken to an area and told her dog was not welcome on a return flight. So she had to buy a crate in Europe and transport him back in cargo. I asked her what she expected would happen when her dog was not a service animal and should not have been in a passenger compartment. She said she didn’t think about it, she just wanted to get home to her family. I asked her what she learned from the experience and she said to take shorter flights. So, she learned nothing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Oh goodness. I've seen so many. I can't remember half, but is particularly memorable.
On a flight to Dallas I found a passenger holding a cat wearing a collar in the waiting seats. I was shocked. That's all I can remember, but I can recall being very surprised at some of the other passengers' animals other times. It's crazy what some people try to bring into an airplane!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Yep, there was a spaniel in the restroom at the airport. While his owner was washing her hands, a little girl ran at him, grabbed his head, and petted him on the head!! I held my breath, but it was OK - dog tolerated it well and just sniffed her.

We had a chihuahua on our plane. All the passengers cooed and admired him/her...star of the flight!

I see a LOT more dogs in the airport than I used to - we used to only see one service dog wearing a vest, once in a blue moon, but now there are always several dogs in the airport and there are now "pet relief" stations on signage...times have really changed.

PS @Ckai we were travelling the opposite way! East Coast to L.A., over the holidays :)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep, there was a spaniel in the restroom at the airport. While his owner was washing her hands, a little girl ran at him, grabbed his head, and petted him on the head!! I held my breath, but it was OK - dog tolerated it well and just sniffed her.

We had a chihuahua on our plane. All the passengers cooed and admired him/her...star of the flight!

I see a LOT more dogs in the airport than I used to - we used to only see one service dog wearing a vest, once in a blue moon, but now there are always several dogs in the airport and there are now "pet relief" stations on signage...times have really changed.

PS @Ckai we were travelling the opposite way! East Coast to L.A., over the holidays :)
I thank that's because the little dogs are now counted as a carry-on baggage. So instead of bringing your backpack, you can bring your dog. I think if I ever brought Kias he'd fit more into the suitcase category than a carry-on backpack. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
My son and daughter in law were moving and had to bring her service dog, their pet dog and their cat. Both dogs were in crates and would ride in cargo. The cat was in a soft side crate and so peaceful and quiet you might not have even realized there was a cat. She was riding in the cabin.The problem was that we got up and left my house at OMG hour in the morning just to find out that the weather was going to be wrong for animal flights. We waited half a day to see if the weather would change but instead we ended up going back to my house and doing the whole thing over again the next day. I don't exactly live near the airport .argh, but the airline staff was very good trying their best to make a difficult flight easier. There just wasn't anything they could do about the weather. Why anyone would choose to fly with animals if they didn't have to is beyond me.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
If your a big traveler and travel for long periods small dogs make life a lot easier. Otherwise it can be quite traumatic. People travel daily on the subway with dogs once they made the law dogs all dogs have to be in a container in nyc which left room to be expanded pretty much banning large dogs and people got real creative.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Somewhere on my phone is a picture of a dog I saw at the airport, a service dog! In a stroller! When I passed by to go to the restroom, the Chihuahua went full Cujo. But it was a service dog. Yup.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Somewhere on my phone is a picture of a dog I saw at the airport, a service dog! In a stroller! When I passed by to go to the restroom, the Chihuahua went full Cujo. But it was a service dog. Yup.
It's ridiculous what people think of.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts