German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok soooo no making fun of me :whistle: but Im picking up my puppy from an airport on Tuesday that is 8 hours away. I have a car..not an suv (Nissan Altima). He will have his crate from the airline that I REALLY dont want to leave behind!!!!! I can rent an SUV but Im kind of a cheap-o and its like $180 for me to do that!!!:sick:

Anyone know if you can break down those crates and stack them...and even if that would fit?!?! He's 7 months old so its not a tiny puppy!! Otherwise I was thinking about being THAT person and hooking it on top of the car LOL :rofl:!!! I know I know..... I said no making fun ;)

Thoughts? :help:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping that would work..I thought about going to the pet store tomorrow and scoping them out...I should just suck it up and rent an SUV...Why I have to be such a cheap :censored: is beyond me lol

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Do you know what model crate it is? If you can ask the breeder what crate model they are using, you can look it up online and get the exact measurements.
Once you have the measurements, you can check if it'll fit in your car. Usually with airline crates, the top and bottom half come apart but they don't fold up any further than that so to figure out the measurements of the crate taken apart, look at the given measurements and then cut the height in half. The length and width will stay the same, but if you take the top half and nest it into the bottom it will be about half the height.

For example let's say the model was a 400 Vari-Kennel. A quick web search shows those are 36"x24"x26"H so the size you'll need to fit in your car is about 36"x24"x14"H (they don't nest perfectly so I added an inch.)

Here is a video of one being disassembled:
http://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4756138_cleaning-plastic-dog-crates.html
(that one has latches so it comes apart easily, the bigger ones usually have twist-on screws instead.)

Here is what an airline crate looks like when taken apart:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AWESOME!!!! That is GREAT advice :) Thanks!! I will hopefully get a response from her so that I can figure it out quickly!!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
You can rent one of those little trailers from uHaul... they're about $20/day here to rent.
Sidenote: I hope you have some assistance keeping your new puppy in the back seat because a brand new 7 month old puppy straight out of a crate could be deadly (literally)...

·
Registered
31 Posts
they split in half with about two dozen wing nuts around the crate. It's easy to take apart and should fit in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
ok we want to know how your making out:))) Wheres that dawg???:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts