German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which ones are good? Which ones are bad? If anyone can give me some suggestions or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it!

Also, if you have any tips on flying with your dog, I'll take those too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Re: Airline Recommendations

We have used Allegiant the last few times. The prices are good, the planes are really nice, the staff is EXCELLENT! Dogs cannot fly on them, though. I asked about it when we went ot FL last. Their cargo area is not pressurized or something.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

I love Southwest!! They have the best customer service, bags fly free, if you need to cancel your flight, there are no charges- the money just goes into your Southwest account to be applied to a future flight. After 8 round trips flown in 2 years, you get a free flight!

Edit: Sorry! I missed that part about the dog
They allow carry-on sized dogs to fly in the cabin.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sorry, I wasn't clear on the question. I will be flying with a dog.

I do like southwest!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Continental has been the best in my experience (6 large dogs in the past 8 years). The dogs are guaranteed to be in climate- controlled environments the entire time the airline has them. Unfortunately, they are no longer accepting pets as checked baggage - only as cargo - except for pets small enough to be transported in the cabin. Their link is:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/animals/default.aspx

·
Registered
8,913 Posts

First off, where ya going?

Second off, I believe I can meet Ike at the airport so just send him to TO, Ontario airport and I will pick him up there.

Just kidding, just being nosey as I have never been on a airplane myself... lol.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks. The dog I am taking will definitely have to go as cargo.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts

Originally Posted By: Jason LinSorry, I wasn't clear on the question. I will be flying with a dog.

I do like southwest!
Re-reading your original post, you WERE clear...I was having an airhead moment. Sorry. But if you are ever flying without the dogs....

·
Registered
418 Posts

A friend had an incident trying to get to the AKC Invi's on SW... they said her (regulation) sherpa bag was not regulation and wouldnt allow her dogs on until she squashed them into one one of those flat crates... two IG's. It was a bad experience from Florida to CA. SW has just started allowing dogs in the cabin so hopefully they learned from the complaints on this one. Hopefully this is a one off.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts

Originally Posted By: Lysa&RuneA friend had an incident trying to get to the AKC Invi's on SW... they said her (regulation) sherpa bag was not regulation and wouldnt allow her dogs on until she squashed them into one one of those flat crates... two IG's. It was a bad experience from Florida to CA. SW has just started allowing dogs in the cabin so hopefully they learned from the complaints on this one. Hopefully this is a one off.
Small world- I know who you are talking about! Her mother competes with a chihuahua at all of the agility trials I go to and she told me about this...didn't realize it was Southwest though. And, my agility leash is made by her.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally Posted By: elisabeth_00117First off, where ya going?

Second off, I believe I can meet Ike at the airport so just send him to TO, Ontario airport and I will pick him up there.

Just kidding, just being nosey as I have never been on a airplane myself... lol.
Sending his butt back to Belgium

We're going to California. It's almost like Ontario - minus, you know, the cold and the lake effect snow.

(Actually I love Toronto. I did my grad studies in Buffalo. Being able to go to Canada was what kept me and lot of my friends sane!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts