German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,310 Posts
How sad! It's amazing that she made it across 101 without being killed.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Poor baby. I hope they find her soon. I feel bad for the worker who let it happen if he was only trying to give her a drink of water.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
This is one reason why when shipping dogs we ALWAYS refuse the offer to have a "pet care attendant" or whatever they call them take the dog for a walk or anything during layovers. And we use a bunch of zip-ties on the crate to keep it closed and make sure no one can just easily open a door to let the dog out.

Too much risk of something like this happening. I understand the urge to be a Good Samaratin and check on the dog if it seems ill or hasn't had water in a while. But reality is the dog is going to survive a few more minutes, or even hours, without a potty break and drink.. its not as likely to survive running around an airport.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomHow sad! It's amazing that she made it across 101 without being killed.
No kidding. Beyond amazing how she (or he, can't remember) made it across. I hope they find their dog.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I've been where these dogs arrive three times to pick up my own dogs and I too, am shocked that this dog could make it accross 101. For those of you not familiar to the area, 101 has got to be six lanes in each direction at that point. Not only that, theres a huge fence on one side that I know of and likely on the other.
I just don't get how the door to the crate was opened when they were not in an enclosed area.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Originally Posted By: shilohsmomI just don't get how the door to the crate was opened when they were not in an enclosed area.
because whoever it was, didn't stop to think that the dog just might be so frightened or tired of being penned up that it would bolt.. - It probably happens more often than we hear about.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Originally Posted By: shilohsmom For those of you not familiar to the area, 101 has got to be six lanes in each direction at that point. Not only that, theres a huge fence on one side that I know of and likely on the other.
Not just the number of lanes, but the traffic there too!

·
Registered
932 Posts
when I did ship they after checking the crate over and had me put the dog back in, they zip tied the door shut themselves and no one was allowed to open it and we always provided a dish on the door of the crate and taped a water bottle to the top of the crate so if the dog needed water they could give it some through the door

·
13,571 Posts
Actually, FAA regulations for live animal shipments require that 2 dishes be attached to the crate door.. one for water and the other for food (even though I've never heard of a dog being fed by airline personnel). So with a dish attached to the wire door of the crate, there's no reason someone would have to open the door to give the dog a drink.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Not just the number of lanes, but the traffic there too! [/quote]

Good point-the traffic is awful around there!!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
It really is sad, and I hope they get their dog back. But I have to wonder, WHY was the dog being shipped like that with temps in the 90s in the first place? I thought there were "rules" about that?

·
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD But I have to wonder, WHY was the dog being shipped like that with temps in the 90s in the first place? I thought there were "rules" about that?
Depends on the airline and how they handle their live animal shipments. Some airlines, Continental being one of them, have climate controlled cargo facilities and vehicles to transport the animals between the cargo facility and plane. So extreme weather conditions aren't an issue and there is no reason to embargo for high/low temps. Other airlines don't have those things, so they won't ship animals when it's really hot or really cold.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chris Wild
Originally Posted By: BlackGSD But I have to wonder, WHY was the dog being shipped like that with temps in the 90s in the first place? I thought there were "rules" about that?
Depends on the airline and how they handle their live animal shipments. Some airlines, Continental being one of them, have climate controlled cargo facilities and vehicles to transport the animals between the cargo facility and plane. So extreme weather conditions aren't an issue and there is no reason to embargo for high/low temps. Other airlines don't have those things, so they won't ship animals when it's really hot or really cold.
Ok, I get it. I knew at least some airlines didn't ship if it was too hot or cold. But obviously had NO idea which ones.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Too much risk of something like this happening. I understand the urge to be a Good Samaratin and check on the dog if it seems ill or hasn't had water in a while. But reality is the dog is going to survive a few more minutes, or even hours, without a potty break and drink.. its not as likely to survive running around an airport.

The dog is not going to survive for hours if it suffered a heat stroke. With outside temperatures in the 90's it must've been a lot more in the crate. They heat up really fast. Dogs can suffer a heatstroke at 110 degrees. Yes, the guy should've used more common sense and put her in a secure area first, but maybe he was too concerned and had to act asap.

·
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaedchenToo much risk of something like this happening. I understand the urge to be a Good Samaratin and check on the dog if it seems ill or hasn't had water in a while. But reality is the dog is going to survive a few more minutes, or even hours, without a potty break and drink.. its not as likely to survive running around an airport.

The dog is not going to survive for hours if it suffered a heat stroke. With outside temperatures in the 90's it must've been a lot more in the crate. They heat up really fast. Dogs can suffer a heatstroke at 110 degrees. Yes, the guy should've used more common sense and put her in a secure area first, but maybe he was too concerned and had to act asap.
Except the temp where the crate was would NOT have been 90. The only way some airlines are allowed to ship in such weather is if the animals are kept in climate controlled areas. Those airlines not set up for this are forced to not accept live animal shipments during hot weather.

For airlines that are allowed to ship under these weather conditions, the airplane cargo hold, cargo facility buildings, and vehicles used to transport dogs to and from cargo and the planes are climate controlled (ie air conditioning). Not much risk of the dog getting heat stroke inside a crate when in an air conditioned environment.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
For airlines that are allowed to ship under these weather conditions, the airplane cargo hold, cargo facility buildings, and vehicles used to transport dogs to and from cargo and the planes are climate controlled (ie air conditioning). Not much risk of the dog getting heat stroke inside a crate when in an air conditioned environment.

But then I wonder, why the guy was so concerned that he needed to give her water.
It's not that the dog came from oversea, only Texas. Weird.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I can see someone not really dog savvy thinking a shaking, heavily panting nervous dog that just wants out is just wanting water or something.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts