German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the coldest you'll let your dogs swim in? I usually don't want them swimming at all if the air is cooler than 55 degrees, but that's just me. I'd love to let them swim in cooler air if it was safe, but I just don't know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ze'eva and MANY other dogs swim in the ocean out here in western WA during the winter and never have any problems... dogs with a good coat won't have any issues at all. If they can play in the snow and below 0 weather/windchills they can do fine in the water. It isn't like they are staying in it all the time either.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Molly won't swim in water below 60 she will jump in and run right back out she is a little wimp!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ze'eva and MANY other dogs swim in the ocean out here in western WA during the winter and never have any problems... dogs with a good coat won't have any issues at all. If they can play in the snow and below 0 weather/windchills they can do fine in the water. It isn't like they are staying in it all the time either.
We used to go to Westport and Ocean Shores during the summers with our Cockapoo. She didn't even like the ocean water then much less when it was colder. But she didn't had a thick coat either. We stuck with taking her to the sound and lake. Hannah grew up swimming in Puget Sound and American Lake all year round with no problem but seems to shiver quickly out here in Colorado at the same air temps.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Siren will swim as long as the lake isn't frozen over.:rolleyes2: (No matter what the air temp is.)

I, on the other hand, prefer it to be 40 degrees or above for real swimming. If she is just wading, then I really don't care what the air temp is. I figure if she is that cold she can stay out of the water! (She only swims when fetching something but will wade just for the fun of it.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts