German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know puppies like to chew things up but my guys take it to the extreme. If it isn't made of steel they try to eat it. The deck, trees (the bark), their bed, the grill, the cover to the hot tub, lawn chairs, part of the privacy fence, and now the screen on the screened in pouch. They have toys and bones. They get tons of exercise. They are outside in a huge back yard to run and play (with thier toys). We also walk the every afternoon for at least 30 minutes. We play with them by throwing balls and toys. Instead they come up to the porch and eat it (trying to show a little humor here). They are 5 and 6 months old and are teething but the screen??? And yes they do the things when I am not there watching them. "Big Sigh" I feel better now. Any suggestions. I get more the feeling that they like the ripping sensation the screen makes than they do chewing. Any suggestion on how to break this behavior?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
having two pups (untrained) is a lot
of work. it seems like you have to
watch the pups more, crate time,
train and socialize.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I agree, you need a helper to keep an eye on them when they are out and about.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm glad you feel better after venting. You have my sympathy and admiration. If I had 2 puppies I would have packed my bags and left in the middle of the night by now LOL.

Carrie

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
You said the magic words... "when I am not watching" You can not expect a puppy to understand on it's own what is ok and what is not ok to eat or chew on. Puppy training 101 ... Never let your puppy out of your site unless they are in a safe area where they can not get hurt and they can't cause damage. I have been watching my daughters puppy since 8 weeks old for the last 3 months and yes she tries to chew on the remote control and the pine cones in the fall basket but I pick them up so she cant. She also has jumped up on the table with her front paws to see what she might find but giving her a firm off and standing between her and the table saying no works like a charm. I guess what I am saying is your puppy needs to be taught it's boundaries and what is acceptable and what is not and this is your job. You can not teach a puppy anything if you are not watching it.It is now time to start your training or you are going to have 2 very destructive pets that will walk all over you for a very long time.

·
Registered
664 Posts
How much time do you have? I wonder if tethering would work -- basically attaching your dogs to you via leash/tether for long periods of time. I know it is used to assert dominance, and, hand in hand, teach proper behaviors.

I know my Layla girl, almost 7 months, is the wildest when she gets less exercise, of course. And, as people have said, the best way to prevent destruction is to have your eye on them at all times. I know that's difficult.

We put Layla and the other 2 dogs out very early in the morning. That's when most of the destruction will occur, because I go back to sleep (but it's just sticks brought up onto the patio furniture and a mess is made, or hole-digging will occur). After that, she is either by my side or in her crate (not a lot of crate time, though).

When I leave her unattended, it is guaranteed that the little booger is going to find something to destroy.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'm picturing in my head being tethered to two rambunctious five and six month old GSD puppies. I think I'd rather be tethered to an anthill!! LOL :)

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I'm picturing in my head being tethered to two rambunctious five and six month old GSD puppies. I think I'd rather be tethered to an anthill!! LOL :)
I cannot stop laughing!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your suggestions. I just needed to vent. I know the stinkers will get into trouble and take it with a grain of salt. I swear one is the look-out and the other is into something. The getting into is mostly Kona. Jax just stands around and looks innocent (yeah right). Now that I have calmed down I have laughed about it a couple of times. I can replace the screen easily. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,422 Posts
Any suggestion on how to break this behavior?
Yes. As others have suggested, don't leave them out there unsupervised. I can't even imagine the havoc my dogs would have been capable of at 5 and 6 months old and left alone to their own devices. So I managed the situation to make sure that they weren't, and I did a lot of training from the time each of them were puppies.

Leaving even one puppy to run rampant in the yard by itself would be a disaster, but two???!?!? Confine them, preferably separately, unless you can be actively watching them and working on reinforcing appropriate behavior and curbing inappropriate behavior.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts