German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC PICS

I tried to find the recent thread with the pro/con debate on doggie doors. I was mostly pro with a few cautions about using them sparingly and properly. Well, I have a new con/warning to add. @Sunsilver this one is for you lol

No an animal did not come in. One went out, at a high rate of speed. Friday evening I was bent over on my back door cement steps that lead to asphalt. I bent over on the small landing, at the waist (tsk tsk) to pick up yet another piece of firewood Valor dragged up there. At that moment all 96ish lbs of Valor came busting through the doggie door and butted me like a Ram, right in the...butt. He sent me careening head first and I landed on my forehead, on the asphalt. Overnight in the hospital, concussion for sure but no fractures or brain bleeds.

A picture of the orginal egg on my head that made me say "hmmm" let's get this checked out, followed by a picture of how far the swelling has progressed as of today. At one point both eyes were swollen **** but they are open now. Hooray. Off to a follow up appt at 10:30.

Ilovemydogilovemydogilovemydog

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,872 Posts
OMG!That looks so painful!I'm so glad you're ok.In the future will you choose a helmet to wear or a lock for the doggy door?:headbang:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Oh Dear that looks like it hurt way more than you are conveying. I'm glad you when to get check out at the hospital and will be ok. Take care of yourself, rest and heal well. Yup we love our dogs. I imagine Valor has been trying to make it up to you with <3

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
That is so bizarre. What in the world set him off to do something so crazy? Did he know it was you? That injury looks awful and you even still have a sense of humor along with it. Heal well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh man. Ow ow ow. Biggest concern is the concussion. Did they do an MRI or a CT of your brain? Sometimes brain bleeding can be delayed and show up even after the exterior damage starts looking a lot better. So if you even think something is off with your brain, get an MRI or CT even if you had one earlier. And have some friends check on you at least twice a day for a while.

Dogs and people doors can be a bad combo too. I've lost count of how many times a big dog slammed the door into my face when he joyfully raced into the house just as I started to open the door to let him in.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
O-M-G!! That's horrible!

I'll bet he heard you out there, and had to come and check things out. You know, being territorial and protective of the property the way a good GSD should be.

Yup, certainly does NOT encourage me to change my stance on doggie doors! :surprise:

Edit: yup there are times like this where they do stupid butt-headed (pun intended!) things like this, and you just have to keep repeating 'ilovemydog, ilovemydog,ilovemydog....'

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I guess we're eating in when you come out over Thanksgiving? Hope you are feeling better today!
Shall we? Lets. Although I did buy big Elton John glasses.

Oh man. Ow ow ow. Biggest concern is the concussion. Did they do an MRI or a CT of your brain? Sometimes brain bleeding can be delayed and show up even after the exterior damage starts looking a lot better. So if you even think something is off with your brain, get an MRI or CT even if you had one earlier. And have some friends check on you at least twice a day for a while.

Dogs and people doors can be a bad combo too. I've lost count of how many times a big dog slammed the door into my face when he joyfully raced into the house just as I started to open the door to let him in.
I have people staying with me. Yes, I hear you on watching for ongoing issues. Had follow up today all looks well. CT was clear.

O-M-G!! That's horrible!

I'll bet he heard you out there, and had to come and check things out. You know, being territorial and protective of the property the way a good GSD should be.

Yup, certainly does NOT encourage me to change my stance on doggie doors! :surprise:

Edit: yup there are times like this where they do stupid butt-headed (pun intended!) things like this, and you just have to keep repeating 'ilovemydog, ilovemydog,ilovemydog....'
Yes, he came out the the door like "what doin???" lolol

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Oh man! That had to hurt. Glad you are okay. Glad you can laugh. It’s a blessings to get warnings. My mom has no dog door but opened the back door going in the backyard and her dog rushed past her bumping her lower leg fracturing her small calf bone rushing past her.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Back when I was doing home nursing, I had a patient who broke his femur when his young Golden retriever collided with him as they were both running to answer the door!

Stuff happens...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts