German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my boy Rasko is 1.5years now, i take him jogging 3 times a week and play catch with him every day as long as i have the time, while playing catch he is really engaged and listens to every command very good, i throw the ball to reward him and he keeps bringin it back. This afternoon i went walkin with a friend of mine and his Bordeaux Dog (female 7 months old). As soon as Rasko sees the other dog he starts barking and howling (no hackles and no growling). When we got in the woods in an open space and let the dogs off leash is when it went wrong, Rasko just ran up to my friends dog, ran her over and starts biting at her (he doesnt really hurt her or draw blood or anything), off course the other dog starts running away but rasko keeps chasing and "attacking". My friend was not happy with this (i agree with him 100 percent). My boy doenst get to see much other dogs, is this were the problem is? i am afraid this might escalate and someone is going to get hurt, what do i do?
thx in advance!

·
5,627 Posts
Yes, the problem is that he doesn't get to interact with other dogs much. You should start desensitizing him to being around other dogs and being calm. Start at a distance where he can still focus on you (use the ball if that helps) and can see the other dog without being crazy. He gets rewarded when calm and behaving. I wouldn't let him interact with any dogs until he can be just in the same area as them and behave himself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts