German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, About 3 weeks ago my fiance and I adopted a four months old puppy. He will be 5 months on the 10th of July. It's a little boy, very active, playful and extremely smart. His mother is from a line of beauty competion and his dad from a line of police dogs. We adopted him from a reputed breeder and have all the certificates. He is not neutered yet, but will be at 6 months. We have our first lesson for obediance next week.

Towards us, he is extremely sociable, never growled or showed signs of aggression. But when we walk him, he will try to jump on most women. As for the men, he will bark and won't let them approach me or my boyfriend. If he sees another dog, he will bark and become very aggressive. We brought him to a dog park many times and once he is off the leash is so sociable and playful with all the dogs and people. Anyone or any dog can approach us, and we can go towards them and he will not care a bit. But on the street or in the house he will be very aggressive. It took him many times to get accustomed to my mother in law, who is supposed to babysit him during the day.

Also, the other main problem is with my mother in law's dog. She has a very nice not at all aggressive female golden retriver who is almost 5 years old. She has a lot of energy and played a few times with my dog. About a week ago, we were over at supper and everything was fine until we decided to walk the dog together, which we had done a couple of times before. I had my dog and my mom in law had her dog. But as soon as we went out my dog went psycho and tried to bite her dog. He wouldnt calm down. Now we let a week pass and yesterday we tried to go to her place again but as soon as we enter the house he tried to jump on the dog and woudlnt calm down or not try to bite her.

What do we do ?! We are curently using the grasp of his nose and saying NO loud and sometimes also making him lay down. Most of the time in the street it work and he calms down. Actually it has been 10 days we are using this technic and he calms quickly now and answers well to no.

My main concern is for the dog of my mother in law...how do I get him to not try to rip her head off

Thanks !

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Your obedience classes will be helpful for your other problems with walking and your pup lunging. For your mother-in-law's dog, I would keep them separate. Your pup has a high drive and won't give up pestering the older dog . I would also suggest you play fetch/tug with your pup - make sure he ends up winning - that is the best outlet for satisfying his prey drive. Also a flit pole.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Very unlikely you are seeing true aggressive behavior. It sounds like it is insecurity. Males exude more aggression and are more intimidating so he freaks out on them and then jumps on females as a way of alleviating his insecurity with them.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Puppies play by using the mouths. They don't have hands. So probably that's what you are seeing.

But they can be bullies and play too rough so we need to pay attention.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Maybe he's leash reactive. Alot of dogs are leash reactive or aggressive. My two smal dogs bark at other dogs when on a leash, but as soon as leash is off they are playful.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Unless the dog is unsound or unhealthy, most likely you are seeing normal puppy behavior that is exacerbated by your uncertainness. Have a professional experienced with GSDs evaluate and help set you on the right track.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Pretty sure leash reactive is code for handler is freaking the dog out with the tension on the leash.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Pretty sure leash reactive is code for handler is freaking the dog out with the tension on the leash.
Agreed.

1) dog has insecurities
2) handler is either insecure with how to deal with dog's energetic insecurity, or coddles the fearful dog
3) handler has anxiety over new situations and transmits cues to dog (pulls leash, steps back, avoids, changes rhythm of walking, changes voice)
4) dog reinforced to be insecure

Repeat.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
with training and socializing and you're going to be alright.
once you learn to translate dog language (body and vocal)
it's going to be easier for you also.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts