German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup is 5 months old She's very investigative and as long as Im around she's very forward and rather brazen. When I'm not around forget it. I always took her for trips in strange vehicles go in the stores let people fawn over her cuteness I took her around other dogs and more.

Ever since she was small though she will bark at only 2 things, all other dogs she's meeting for the first (sometimes even second time) after they sniff she's happy go lucky wanting nothing more than to play play play. The other thing she will bark at is when im asleep and if someone who isnt normally in the household every day, be it my cousin, uncle or friend, even if they are around pretty frequently if they come near me or into my room when Im laying down or asleep she will bark and her hackles do go up! If Im just sitting there , no issue not a peep and she will go exuberantly greet them. Im not sure if I want this habit to stop completely but Ive made sure if I tell her to back off she has to.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that does make sence and looks like we have lots to work on as we have already conqured her fear of cars, tubs and horses. not so much on goats but Im not going to work with her on it as the goats I have really could hurt her (mine are african boers adn the herd had a bad experiance with a local dog and the managed to fend it off by circling it and all of them beat the tar out of it until one of em hooked it and tossed it in the air, I was glad he wasnt seriously hurt, though he didnt come back either) but im am glad she is still curious about them and still tries to check em out when she can. anywyas thanks. any tips on HOW to go about correcting these fears as all I know of is the method Ceaser Millan applies in making them submit and relax giving the power up to me.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I generally try to change the mood around the situation. I get up and go more forward than the dog keeping her more behind as in, I am in charge of this situation. I am happy about the people or whatever. I have not had good luck with corrections in these instances. I know some will differ and I suppose it is in the dog and how it is handled. My dogs tend to perceive correction in these instances as sure fire affirmation of the uncertainty they already felt. It seems to only ingrain the behavior. In a puppy, these fear stages are not uncommon and I don't encourage it but try to change the dog's mind set in the situation.

We were meeting cows yesterday. They were charging pretty hard at the fence and my pup was aggressive toward them and I am sure pretty worried about them. I kept her moving alongside the fence up and down. The cattle started moving with us and she eventually calmed down about them. She was in a fight or flight situation with the cattle and tried both. I don't see how correcting her would have made any of this better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm maybe breaking her thought process would help? ther are two thing's she is really intence about lazer lights and squeeky toys. perhaps using the squeeky toy as a mood changer as the toy always signals fun time as corrections and submitting them has dulled her reactions but hasn't stopped them. so maybe this could help. I am a dominant personality so she's never so much as entered a doorway before me, since she was little ive always held the dominat position. she challenged when we took on her fear of tubs (its was really the sparyer she was afraid of) she got so terrified she freaked out and went to try removing my hand with her mouth and I grabbed her nose and bit her on it (not hard but enough to get her attention) it was some kind of revallation for her and she totally relaxed and rested her head on the edge of the tub. Im not sure why it worked but it did.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get rid of the laser toy, NOW. Do a search on here for more info, I have to get back to the kennel so can't elaborate.
yeah actually i dont own one as she gets way too over the top about it even on the occassions that other people have one but I thought it would be a good diversion. so its her squeeky toy then I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts