German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're staying in a cabin about 10 minutes away from Algonquin Provincial Park, but rather than drive to the centre of the park today to the only trail dogs are allowed on, I thought - let's try Agis at skijoring at the lake we're staying on! (Mostly because he spends all of his time burrowing in the snow and I wasn't sure if he'd actually pull/work with me skiing. I haven't really taught him the 'hike' command much, so he doesn't actually know it, particularly with the distraction of snow - Agis LOVES snow.

Of course, I wanted to stay off the snowmobile trails on the lake, and there is a lot of deep wet snow elsewhere on the lake, so it was sloooooow going, not helped by Agis's tendency to play in the snow on the way out (he'll also lie down and be dragged in the snow, he likes it)...which is not the best when skiing. Also I'm a terrible skier at the best of times heh!

It took us 29 minutes to do the first 1k. We turned around at that point. We got back in 14 minutes. Quite the improvement in pace! He was better on the way back, he mostly followed our track and pulled. Even I'm a faster skier than 14min/km, but I just let him set the pace.

It's interesting, I didn't want to go far anyways, since he's still growing, but man did playing/trotting 2k on a lake tire him out in a way that going for a walk did not! He's sleeping lots now.

Video (very tilted, sigh) on my bad YouTube channel:

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it seems to be! We went to a track set rail trail in Algonquin Provincial Park today (only place you can skijor in the park) and he did much better - out and back again, 5.2k, he mostly trotted beside/behind me on the way out and hiked (pulled) on the way back. A bit of rolling on the way out. But what an improvement in just one day!

http://instagr.am/p/B71VfhZnwOi/

·
Super Moderator
6,509 Posts
oh my do i love him 🥰 ...especially the little pep in his step that he got in response to your praise. so so cute!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh my do i love him 🥰 ...especially the little pep in his step that he got in response to your praise. so so cute!
Yeah he's such a good boy! I really love working with him and doing stuff like this. We both have so much fun.

@Jenny720 It is! Ideally I'd like to run with him and do canicross once he's old enough, in the meantime, in winter we can skijor because I'm not a very fast skier (my technique sucks) so he doesn't have to go so fast.

·
Registered
457 Posts
That's really interesting! I've never heard of Skijoring. What does he do, pull you around?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts