German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So don't know if you guys remember, but when we adopted Agis he was quite fearful of going outside and strange situations, kids (there is a daycare on our floor, in the apartment next door as a matter of fact), we couldn't touch his collar without him screaming, so when we found a good training school they suggested a couple of one-on-one in-home sessions to work on desensitization/fear issues. He had kennel cough when we adopted him and by the time he got over it was just a tiny bit too old to start puppy classes, which is a shame.

His first session was in December, and it went great - we got lots of great tips - and I haven't rushed to do the second session (it's a package of two). But I want to get him into group classes, and even though he's pretty well-adjusted now (though, if a dog barks and lunges at him, he is NOT neutral, mind you), I can always use help with training actual obedience (I want to do a CGN with him and take him as a therapy dog to the local psych hospital).

The trainer came back today, and she said he was so different! So proud of my guy, and that the work we've done with him is evident. We did lots of stuff in the hour, but the thing I really want to brag about is...

We went down into the basement of the building to practice 'come' in the halls - did a few different ways/games to work on it - and he did so well she decided to try to distract him with hot dog, and he STILL came when I called him! We've not worked much on come to be honest, so I was really proud. She said he has great focus.

She also said he was ready for group classes. We go on vacation Friday for 2 weeks roughly, the dogs come with us, but when we're back, time to get started on group classes!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Congratulations! It sounds like he's really doing well; hard work up front with a dog means years of peaceful companionship!

I see sooo many people struggle daily with their dogs, thinking that is just how it is, when some up front work could make both the life of the human and the dog sooo much better.

Good for you, taking the time now to teach!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Congrats,
It is humbling to watch an animal who is strong enough to do whatever he feels like doing... like and respect you enough to come to you in spite of a tempting hot dog.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well he's not perfect - he's started, even if we take him out to potty immediately before leaving and crating him, cocking his leg and peeing OUTSIDE of the crate when we're not home. He does it even if we're gone for 30 minutes, so it's not an urgency thing. We're thinking teenage buttheadedness, but I am most unimpressed. We're going to try making sure he's really outside for a long time to squeeze out every last drop I hope. It's just been going on a few days. He's also teething now (almost 23 weeks old), so I wonder if that's changed his attitude (google suggests this could be the case). He no longer cries in the crate, and we give him kongs stuffed with frozen pumpkin, so I'm not sure what to make of that. We'll keep working on it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts