German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re: Agility in the 'real' world (whoohoo!)

Molly and a big log last autumn.

and Molly through barbed wire. This was very useful hiking.

I could never get her to go down a sliding board though without jumping off half way.

(hope it's okay to post video here...just opened a photobucket acct.)

·
Registered
184 Posts

Here is another long-coat jumping a fence in my garden. Look at his tongue!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts

Here is Siren in "the real world".

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I have always done what I like to call "urban agility". Whenever we are on walks I use any "obstacle" we come across to have Ginger jump on, go under, weave through, etc... Whenever we come across a short wall she will jump up and walk across (without me telling her in the case of ones we pass regularly on walks.)
Before we started agility I used to play with Ginger in a playground at a park we often visit. A lot of the playground equipment is comparable to agility equipment and I think it really gave her a head start in that when we started agility she was comfortable with all the obstacles. They even have something at the playground which looks like a longer, skinnier version of the UKC "swing plank."

Oh wait, I looked around and I do have a few photos, not any really good ones though or playground ones...

I also have a video but the sound is way out of sync with the picture so I'd suggest watching with the sound turned down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va6PW-OGdYM
(She's pretty slow in the video, it was taken when she was 10 years old and she has pretty severe spondylosis. She's 12 now.)

Ginger practicing up and down/stay after our tree was cut down:

"Up" on a rock:

Wall-walking:

Rock "climbing" (in the Smoky Mountains)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It's that time of year to be thinking of new places to take our pups, new things to do with them, and take some photos to add to this thread!

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Hexe on some picnic tables, she pretty much started doing this on her own after I asked her to get on to a picnic table one day!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Wow, now that video is EXACTLY what I think is so great how once we get our minds going in a different direction, when we SEE things we can make them into training opportunities for our dogs!

Let me say, when I thought I'd see your dog on a picnic table, it wasn't anything like what I just saw on the video. GREAT JOB!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
BowWowMeow, glad you took your camera along! Isn't that playground equipment some of the best DOG training stuff ever!?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
BowWowMeow, glad you took your camera along! Isn't that playground equipment some of the best DOG training stuff ever!?
I love that stuff. In the playground closest to my house, they even have something that is like a long thin version of the UKC 'sway plank' obstacle. I started taking my Golden on the playground equipment when I first got her and when we started an agility class she had no problem acclimating to any of the obstacles because she'd already seen similar things at the playground!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I forgot about this thread! Anyone have anything new to add?

Here's Tara...she did this all on her own.

She's probably about 6-8 feet high in this photo.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts