German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't even gotten my puppy yet and I'm having dreams! It was an agility dream, where I entered my dog in an Agility competition like the one on TV and we came out with a gold medal! I might do tracking with my future puppy, but I'm not even sure I want to do agility. The dream's not even realistic, especially if there's a border collie in the competition. How could a GSD win over a super fast border collie?

I guess this shows how excited I am, even though it's going to be some time before I even get my puppy.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
you're looking at it all wrong. you're sweating the competitors when you should really just be having fun. When you get your pup and should you decide to do agility, dont go into with the must win attitude. Sure you'll be bummed not placing first or not placing at all but how you really should look at it is a fun activity you and your dog will enjoy TOGETHER. Its a bonding experience. Who cares if there is a super fast border collie. You know going to school you always wished the prom queen would trip on her heels and fall flat on her face in front of everyone? You can picture that. The most important thing is not the ribbons and medals and awards but the time you get to spend just having fun with your dog. If you go into it all serious and must win attitude its no fun. It is also a great outlet not only for your dogs physical energy but also your dogs mental energy. If you dont like agility, you can always try flyball. Again you'd experience fast border collies and aussies but its fun! its something else you and your dog can do together (only with other teammates as well). do it cuz its fun. If you win big yay! if you lose, you still had an enjoyable time with your dog.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I haven't even gotten my puppy yet and I'm having dreams! It was an agility dream, where I entered my dog in an Agility competition like the one on TV and we came out with a gold medal! I might do tracking with my future puppy, but I'm not even sure I want to do agility. The dream's not even realistic, especially if there's a border collie in the competition. How could a GSD win over a super fast border collie?

I guess this shows how excited I am, even though it's going to be some time before I even get my puppy.
I beat BC's (Border Collies) all the time with my GSD, so it isn't an unreal expectation at all. One of the neat things about agility is it's a fairly level playing field as far as the course goes at the higher levels. We all have to run it with ZERO mistakes and under course time. Those BC's are crazy fast but that makes it crazy hard to get them thru 'clean' (no mistakes) and once a bar is knocked or an off course is taken, they are OUT.

That said, if a BC runs clean and I run clean, you are right that mostly they can beat my time so will beat me. But that's ok, it's the qualifying that counts and the fun I'm having out with my dog!

Tracking is great too though. :wub:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts