German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
I like the Midwest Canine Camper the best at trials. It's sturdier (so a bit heavier) then some other crates but has flaps that can be put over all the mesh so our dogs can have some peace in a crazy crating area.

The newer models have a front and a side door, flaps come with this crate that just velco over the mesh and there are pockets on the crate that store the flaps.

The other crate I see alot is the NozToNoz. Really light and open for the dogs to see out and be cool on a hotter day.

NozToNoz n2-36 Sof Krate - Dog Supplies_

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Thanks, plz keep suggestions & links a comin. :)
I have a friend that has a NoztoNoz. Do like the idea of a side door also or will this just add for another place to escape. I just fear goofy GSD escape to look for me or something & we get the boot out of a trial because my big bad GSD is loose. Pray this never happens, why I am researching light but durable crates!!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
I have Noz to Noz soft crates, and I love them. Even though Halo is a wild and crazy girl, and a drivey little :censored: she is very calm and quiet in her crate at flyball or dock diving. I drive almost an hour for flyball practice, so I usually have to go to the bathroom when I get there. I can set up the crate, put Halo in it, and walk away for a few minutes and she's perfectly fine.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I have Noz to Noz soft crates, and I love them. Even though Halo is a wild and crazy girl, and a drivey little :censored: she is very calm and quiet in her crate at flyball or dock diving. I drive almost an hour for flyball practice, so I usually have to go to the bathroom when I get there. I can set up the crate, put Halo in it, and walk away for a few minutes and she's perfectly fine.
Cool, thanks! I was digging my friends, but do hate to invest in a soft crate to have the mesh get ripped or something. :( My guys are normally pretty calm in a crate, but you know a soft crate is not solid so, I think, what if........

What size do you have? My girls are 65-thinkin pup may reach 70-75, dear god hope not more! I have been using 36" wire crates at shows.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
I got the 42" long one for Keefer because the next smallest size said it was for dogs up to 70 pounds and he's 80 pounds. It's HUGE!

Not only did Dena & Keefer both fit in at the same time, I tried crawling into it and invited Keef in and the two of us also fit, although it was a little less comfortable, lol!

Halo is about 60 pounds so I got her the next smallest size, the 36" long. I tried him in it to see if I could sell the large one and get away with the smaller crate for him too, but it's a bit tight for him. It's fine for her, and would probably be okay if your girls don't go over 70 or 75 pounds.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Thanks Debbie! Do you feel this brand is made sturdy for a GSD? How about the mesh?

So, my 90# boy Storm would be out of the question for a 36", lol He fits he big but in a 36" wire crate. He has a 42", but thinks he needs to lay in the pups crate. :rolleyes:

Ok, lol I can so see myself doing the same, trying to hang in a crate with one of mine. :wild:

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Also, Does it have solid flaps that cover all the mesh? Do they velco up nice? Can you lock the zipper? Do you feel they could roll it easy?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
There's a very sturdy metal frame (but it's not too heavy), I can't see it bending, but any mesh is not going to hold up for long to a dog determined to get out. It's very easy to set up and take down too, which I like.

It does NOT have flaps, so if that's something you definitely want you'd need a different crate. You can lock the zipper, but I've never bothered. I think any crate could be rolled by a large determined dog, but I think you can stake it down if you're on dirt or grass. (It's in the car and I'm too lazy to go out and look at it!)

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
No prob! Thanks for your info on it. I like the look & they seem very sturdy compared to others. Do hate no flaps, guess I could use a blanket if needed. I need to look at my friends way better next time. :(

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
Yeah, you can toss a sheet over it if you need to. It's not an issue for Halo, and on a warm day that would cut down on air circulation anyway, so I don't care about the lack of flaps. A nice feature, but not necessary for us.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
'new' soft dog crate

This looks really great, I have a similiar one that's much less sturdy and GloryB tore thru the mesh with just one swipe of her paw the first time I had her in it.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

·
Registered
54 Posts
Its really dark but this is it in the morning right after I set up

I did buy the tent and I used it at a trial last weekend.
Here's a quick review
Pros:
-Fast set up and I can do it by myself
-Folds up small and can easily go back in the box it came in
-Big enough to fit my sports chair, Bentleys 42" crate and my fosters 30"(?) crate with a little extra room.
-Light weight
Cons:
- Being light weight is also con as it can (and will) blow away if not staked down.
- Not as much shade as I thought. It blocks the sun but it still gets a little warm. Although it is a noticeable difference from being in the sun.
- Ventilation. It has a good amount on the bottom but not on top.

That's all I can think of right now.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Funny how there are so many more indoor trials now I wonder how long tents/canopies will even be used at trial...

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I have the noz2noz as well and it is very sturdy for a soft crate.

I would still take the time to train the dog to stay in it as it is not that hard to escape from. If they push hard enough on the zipper it will separate.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just bought a MightyMite Dog tent. I really love it - it's super lightweight and easy to put up. I bought the fly sheet as well, which I haven't used yet. I do not think this would be a good solution for a dog who is not pretty relaxed in it since it's so lightweight though. I suspect a rambunctious pup could flip it pretty easily.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts