German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately Rajko(14 weeks) seems to be getting a bit protective or territorial over the house. Our older lab hangs out outside for most of the day, but many times we leave the back door open. When I am just inside of that door with Rajko, and the lab tries to come inside, sometimes Rajko will bark/growl at her, and chases her, but then just initiates play nipping and rolling around. I do notice that his hackles come up though. She is very gentle and plays/nips back but it always has appeared to be just playful. It's not just defending the indoors either, as he will do this when I am outside with them both if I whistle or call for her to come.

Lately when I see him doing it, I speak to him a firm "knock it off", and grab hold of him with firm restraint, and then give him a "settle down" command. Is this okay? What should I be doing?

·
Super Moderator
32,128 Posts
Re: Aggressiveness towards older dog--but then pla

If he's pestering her and she seems uncomfortable, I'd do exactly what you're doing. Heck, if it bugs YOU, I'd do exactly what you're doing - you're the pack leader, so you get to decide what kind of behavior is acceptable. But if it's clearly mutual, (they take turns pestering each other), or it doesn't seem to bother her and she gives as good as she gets, I'd let them work it out.

You don't want him to become a bully, so keep an eye on them and step in when your gut says things may be getting out of hand or could escalate. Because he's still so young she may be tolerating some behavior from him that she won't once he's older, which is why it's a good idea for you to step in before she decides to deal with it, perhaps more forcefully than you'd like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts