German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
I just adopted a shepard mix (collie mix I think) last week. She is sweet as pie with me and my husband. And it is clear she has identified my husband and I as her leaders. And she is a really great dog overall, but the past few days we have started to see some aggression and I want to nip it in the bud. She is 6 years old.

The issue is my parents and their dog. We live in an apartment at my parent's place so they are a big part of this girl's life. Two issues...

1) My parents have a 10 year old collie (like Lassie). She is normally dominant, and did put our dog in her place in the beginning, it was good. Now our dog is growling at their dog every time I give their dog attention or treats...and sometimes just out of the blue. How do I stop this? Their dog isn't standing up for herself anymore!

2) My mom is a bit scared of german shepards as she was bit by one in the past. (long time a go) My mom walked our dog by herself for the first time today and it went fine. But when my husband got back from a walk later with her, our dog growled at my mom (and their dog - not sure if the second growl was directed at the dog still or my mom). Then later tonight, my mom was sitting cross legged and our dog kept climbing over her crossed leg and slightly humping her foot.

My mom is now stressed - which is feeding into my dog's stress. I want to know how I can teach our dog that it is ok for my parents to give her commands and that she should treat them with respect. I also want to know how to settle this issue with their dog because I am worried this could lead to further aggression. She is fine with pretty much all other dogs we have met. She wants to play or she ignores them. I am worried she is becoming overly protective of myself and my husband!

Help!

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
I'm not gonna have answers for your problem, but from what I've read female on female aggression is common. I have 2 female shepherds and they get along quite well, but I guess that's not always the case. I hope some of the experienced members will come along soon.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
well first, I would have to ask, do you know why your dog was in need of a new home?

Far as the behavior, serious suggestion I have is start heavily practicing NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) and have EVERYONE in contact with the new dog involved. Do not allow the humping behavior. That's uncalled for, especially toward humans.

As for the growling, if she was fine with your mom until your husband came around, every time she starts to growl at someone for no real reason other than suddenly you or your husband are there and she'd previously been good with that person while you weren't there, leave. Say "uh oh, bad growling!" and walk away from her. That will take time but she should connect the dots that when she growls at someone without actual cause, you walk away from her.

Also, treats treats treats. When she's around your parents, your parents are suddenly treat dispensers of her favorite treats. But ONLY when she's behaving herself. The minute she starts in with any growling, barking or generally rotten behavior, the treats go away until she can behave herself again.

DO NOT leave your dog and your parents dog unsupervised. If the collie is no longer correcting your dogs growling/behavior, you need to. Any time she growls at the collie, she is removed from the situation. If you are loving on the collie and your dog starts growling or being pushy, she gets a timeout away from you. She needs to learn its not okay to be possessive. YOU decide who gets attention, when they get it and how much. Not her. There's several other options you can try as well but I'm on my kindle so I'll have to post those later.

hopefully others will chime in as well. good luck.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You should correct and redirect your dog from growling at your mom or her dog. If you are the owner and leader, *you* make it clear what the rules are. That's not to say your mom can't help, but the dog should take cues from you and not wait for your mom to step up and correct her. Since you just got her, you may just want to keep her separate for a while until you bond and your new dog is more settled and respectful of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the replies everyone. I appreciate the insights.
She was found wondering around a town, and sat at the shelter for two months. No one came for her :(

We have started using 'down' a lot when she is not acting the way we want, as it is a difficult task for a dominate dog. We also are taking her to a trainer next week for some advice. They asked that my parents come as well.

She growled at the other dog again today and I corrected the behaviour right away. It didn't happen the next time they saw each other, so hopefully if I keep up with that, it will eventually stop entirely.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
NILIF is a good suggestion. We still use this with ours, having them sit before going outside and feeding. With 3 gsds and kids it helps keep order.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts