German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I responded to a ad yesterday evening about a 2 year old German Shepherd that was going to b taken to the shelter if she didn't find a home. I have been wanting another GSD but hadn't look to hard to find one yet.
Well I called this lady up. She began to tell me that she is the sweetest dog you will meet towards people. She said she bought the dog two months ago and the people she bought her from had several dogs and she was great with them. However, she brought her home and she got along with her other GSD ok, but didn't get along with her other male dog. I decided not to judge the dog and make the trip to see her. The lady let her in the house where she began attacking viciously the kennel where her other male dog was. I was surprised at the level of aggression towards him.
I began to see as we took things outside away from the other dogs that this lady had no control over this dog. She ran crazily all over the yard and jumped all over her all over me. She looked at me and said she's the sweetest dog towards people but for some reason she just doesn't like my other dog. She said my male GSD and her get along they kind of just ignore one another.
She stated she hadn't brought her around any other dogs to see if she was aggressive towards just that dog or all dogs in general. She said though she had to go, that she had been trying to re-home her for a month and no one has taken her.
I played with her for a little bit and noticed how sweet this dog was. I couldn't let her take her to the pound if I don't take her who else will?? This lady had clearly had it with her and was ready to give up finding her a home. I knew if the dog shown aggression to other dogs like she did with this lady's other male dog that she would be placed down for sure.
I thought for a second on how I was going to get her and Bandit to get along. I knew I wouldn't have any problems with Bandit, but I wasn't sure about her.... I decided to tell the lady that I would take her. I paid the lady for her and took her home.
She was great for the whole hour plus drive, just paced in the back of my van but never tried to jump the seats (until we got home lol).
I had Bandit in his crate when I got home because I never leave him out for his safety. She didn't hesitate to try and pull me over to the cage and attack the cage.
I had my boyfriend hold Bandit on a leash and I held her on a leash and introduced them. She several time tried to bite him, and we pulled her back.
I want to give this girl a loving home. I don't want her going home to home being unwanted because no one wants to deal with it. The question is though.... How do I "deal" with it? I need to train her to be friendly with other dogs. She is so sweet, very energetic, but I know she will be a perfect companion give she is trained to not be aggressive.

Any idea of how to work on this aggression with her>?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
First off, if this woman was so desperate to get rid of her, I would NOT have paid her a dime, this dog has alot of baggage that you will most likely have to pay trainers to help you with, so I wouldn't have given the woman a dime.

Second, I commend you for wanting to help her and give her a good home, however, sometimes we have to think with our heads vs our hearts. This woman was basically emotionally blackmailing you into taking her,,(if you don't she goes to the shelter!)

Third, have you tried introducing them OUTSIDE, (on leash of course),,away from the crates, away from inside the house...

Fourth, I think you need a good gsd savvy trainer asap.

Since she has no manners, she may just not know how to 'behave' with other dogs, the most important thing if you keep her, is that you want her to get along with YOUR dog..

I would rather own a dog aggressive dog, than a dog who was human aggressive. If you can get her to get along with YOUR dog, the other can be managed. She doesn't have to "like" other dogs, just the ones she lives with..

I'd start some basic obedience with her pronto, keep a leash on her at all times, and don't be afraid to give her a correction if she gets real nasty with your male. And find a good trainer pronto..

Good luck, keep us updated

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
First off, if this woman was so desperate to get rid of her, I would NOT have paid her a dime, this dog has alot of baggage that you will most likely have to pay trainers to help you with, so I wouldn't have given the woman a dime.

Second, I commend you for wanting to help her and give her a good home, however, sometimes we have to think with our heads vs our hearts. This woman was basically emotionally blackmailing you into taking her,,(if you don't she goes to the shelter!)

Third, have you tried introducing them OUTSIDE, (on leash of course),,away from the crates, away from inside the house...

Fourth, I think you need a good gsd savvy trainer asap.

Since she has no manners, she may just not know how to 'behave' with other dogs, the most important thing if you keep her, is that you want her to get along with YOUR dog..

I would rather own a dog aggressive dog, than a dog who was human aggressive. If you can get her to get along with YOUR dog, the other can be managed. She doesn't have to "like" other dogs, just the ones she lives with..

I'd start some basic obedience with her pronto, keep a leash on her at all times, and don't be afraid to give her a correction if she gets real nasty with your male. And find a good trainer pronto..

Good luck, keep us updated
Totally agree 100%....especially with the paying her for the dog part.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Crate and rotate until she gets settled in, tethering, NILF, obediance classes to help your bond, and a truckload of patience. She will get better, through your hard work and dedication.While you are crating/rotating once a day grab your bf and take the dogs on a walk together-no sniffing, eye contact, no interaction whatsoever. They shouldnt be walked side by side at first. I have heard this helps the dogs bond quicker.
Also, pics?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Well, I can't add much more, Diane gave very good advice.

Keep in mind, she may never like him.. She might tolerate him, she might not.. with training and lots of time she might grow to adore him. But some dogs will not get along no matter what you do.

Try some walks together WITHOUT interaction.. Walk your boy in front while you or someone else walks the new lady at a respectable distance behind him. That is much less threatening to her.. gradually lessen the distance between them. The SECOND she acts up stop walking her immediately. She will catch on that aggressing = no more walking. Slowly work it up to walking next to each other, with humans in between. Praise like there is no tomorrow for good behavior.. Let her sniff his hind end while walking (if she wants to sniff not bite) after she is calmer around him and if he is calm enough not to turn around and face her.. Then back off again. Take it very slow.

Again, they might not get along.. rotate them. Do you have room in your yard to make a tie-out or a kennel?

Sadly if you cannot rotate forever, training her and finding her a suitable, one-dog home would be best for her in the long run.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Well, I can't add much more, Diane gave very good advice.

Keep in mind, she may never like him.. She might tolerate him, she might not.. with training and lots of time she might grow to adore him. But some dogs will not get along no matter what you do

Again, they might not get along.. rotate them. Do you have room in your yard to make a tie-out or a kennel?

Sadly if you cannot rotate forever, training her and finding her a suitable, one-dog home would be best for her in the long run.
ITA. Dog aggression is something GSDs are prone to, although it is more commonly towards same sex dogs. This sort of thing often is an inherited tendency and once it is triggered, it can be really hard to "go back". It sounds like she is a nice dog otherwise, so she may just need an only dog home.

Crate and Rotate (APBT site but info applies to any breed):
Pit Bull Rescue Central

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far so good. I intriduced them again all day today and actually got them being good together even playing in the backyard now. Morgen is still dog aggressive but is getting along with Bandit now. I am still watching them like a hawk but for now we are doing great! :D I think she just needed someone to show her she does not rule the house. Plus I think she just needed some TLC which she gets from us and Bandit! :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
everyone has had some pretty good suggestions. Best of luck with her and definitely be careful when you go for walks and encounter other dogs. She may start being okay with your boy but other dogs would be a whole different story.

·
Registered
32,046 Posts
Just a thought....

Is she truly Dog Aggressive? Or is she Fear Aggressive? Is she reactive? Does she tense up immediately when meeting a new dog? Does she give warning or go right into attack?

I dont' know anything about true dog aggressiveness but it's possible that she is scared and in the "I'll get you before you get me" mode.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She goes right to attack mode it seems but I am not sure all I know is she will go right after a dog as soon as she sees them. Even though she is getting along with Bandit when he first walks into the room she comes un-glued jumps u and viciously barks and comes towards him until she realizes it's just him now. I do think she will have problems with other dogs because it took quiet a bit of work today to get her to take to Bandit. An she still growls time to time but doesn't attack him she actually playing with him now. So I am just letting them get to know eachother but being careful to watch them so a fight doesn't break out.

·
Registered
32,046 Posts
But is it fear or true aggression?

I would take her immediately for a vet checkup and thyroid check. That can cause aggressiveness.

My understanding of true aggression is that it just is. There isn't any getting used to another dog. It's all management and training by the owner to control it. I could be way off because as I said before, I don't know anything about true dog aggression, but it seems there is a good chance that this is not the case for her.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
it's more than likely 'not ' true aggression, she's probably never really been socialized with dogs, or maybe had a bad experience, and now is in the mode as jax said, "i'm gonna get you before you get me" type of thing.

It sounds like she's doing BETTER, I would continue what your doing with Bandit, take it slow, and it's good that Bandit is probably a calming effect on her. She needs to learn to trust him, trust that he isn't going to "get her"..

Hopefully she'll start feeding off Bandit's good energy, and will learn alot just from him:)

As I said before, I could care less if my dogs like other dogs, they just HAVE to get along with the dogs they live with..the other can be managed..

Hang in there, keep doing what your doing, it won't be an overnite fix, but it sounds like your making progress !! Kudos to you!

·
Registered
32,046 Posts
As I said before, I could care less if my dogs like other dogs, they just HAVE to get along with the dogs they live with..the other can be managed..
This is really important for us humans to get through our heads. After fostering a dog that kept turning on Jax, and the resulting fear aggression, I kept trying to get her to greet other dogs because I wanted her to play with other dogs again.

A month or so ago, I was at a neighbor's pond with Jax when my neighbor came out of the woods with her two dogs. The black lab puppy wanted nothing more than to play with Jax. She wanted none of it. I realized then that I was trying to force something on to her that she had no desire to do. She is perfectly content to play with me...and has no interest in playing with other dogs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts