German Shepherds Forum banner

Aggressive towards cat ?

968 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  LUV_GSDs 
#1 ·
I am not sure if Duke is really being aggressive here or if he just wants to play but it seems like more and more he is kind of pouncing on the cat, he doesn't take her down but she can't really get away from him either. He is also pawing at her.

He's almost 8 months old and has no other signs of aggression at all but my Chloe doesn't like it one bit either so she hisses and bats at him but he hasn't learned to back off.

any ideas ?

#2 ·
The biggest lesson I have learned over the years ( I have four cats and at one time had 3 dogs) is that the cats must be alpha to the dogs. You have to stop the behavior where the dog dominates the cats or it may turn into a danger to the cats. Aggression towards cats usually seems pretty obvious; like snapping at the cat, chasing it aggressively etc. Playing, as seems the case here, can get too intense for the cat. Of course one day the cat might slash the dog and the dog would most likely (if he is not aggressing) back off. The cat can get hurt with the rough play so it would be best to teach the dog to 'leave it' or teach him 'mine' when referring to the cat.

#3 ·
Ok, yes we are working with "leave her" and he's getting better. She does go after him too when he seems to just be walking by her but I am sure she's just waiting for him to get jumpy. You'd think he'd back off a little more than he has.

#4 ·
He just doesn't understand cat talk:) My dog loves cats and tried play bowing and jumping backwards to entice the cat to play the other day and I have to explain to her that cats don't speak dog. If the cat lands a scratch then he will understand. Just keep up the "leave her" command and reward him greatly and it will all work out. He may still want to play with the cat but at least you will be able to break it off with a command. I put food on the floor and tell the dog to leave it and let the cat eat it and then reward the dog with some food too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.