German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy is 15 weeks old and likes to bite us. He is not aggressive with other dogs or other people and is not food aggressive. He bites all four of us and I'm at a loss what to do. We try to redirect him with a toy, telling him "enough" or "no" quite loudly, and walking away and he still jumps and bites. We've even tried the (The Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan) "bite" with your hand gently (and firmly) and that just seems to tick him off. If he can't get at our hands or arms, he goes for the legs and has ripped holes in our clothing . I am so frustrated with this behavior. After getting really wound up with biting and barking, I put him in his crate for a bit, like a time out, until he settles down and then he is let out where he'll be fine for awhile but then it starts all over again. We start puppy kindergarten in a couple weeks but I don't know if that is something they address or not. He's got tons of toys, gets walked twice a day, gets training time and we're always trying to play with him so it's not like he is lacking in the attention department. It just seems when we try to play, he starts getting aggressive after a little while. Any help is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
561 Posts
bite him back!

sorry i could not help!
is he bitting/playing?or is he very aggressive?
most puppy are just playing,but that can be very annoying.
when oliver was a puppy,he use to bite.ours hands,faces,feets,you name it.
the thing i use to hate the most is when you walk and they grab you right above the heel! ouch!!!!!!!!
first thing you need to do is,when he bites,say "ouch" pretty loud,and stop playing with him.do not use his crate for punishment,the crate is for him to use,so he needs to be comfortable with it.
do you play rought with him?
you need to stop playing with him as soon he start to bite,also walk away from him.let him know that you are not going to tolerate him for bitting.
give him a toy or something like a kong,those thing works great.
i got pretty frustrated with oliver,that i gave him some to cry about.
he did stop after that,but i don't suggest that you do the same .
good luck.

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
First off it is not aggression, he is a baby who needs to learn the rules. Puppies play with each other and they use their teeth. Have you been doing any ob with him? Puppy basics will help teach him self control. It is never too early to start positive training. Lots of rewards lots of praise for every little thing that the puppy does correctly. Ignore the bad behavior. You also need to ensure that he is getting enough exercise both physically and mentally.

Once he understands the basics like a sit start giving him the command before his excitement has a chance to escalate and reward the good behavior (sit/down whatever command you use).

If you are planning on doing "formal" type training with him you do not want to inhibit his desire to bite especially if he is going to be training for SCH or any sport/venue that using a tug type toy as a main reward.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
this i think is general puppy behavior. when my boy was 9 weeks and on he started to nip. i would hold him by some neck fur and say "no biting". then i would offer him my hand. i would my hand own his mouth or lips. of course he would nip again. again i would hold him by some neck fur and say "no biting" offerring my hand again. at some point he got it. he knew if he didn't nip i would pet him. hey wait untill you're sitting bare foot and he catches a toe or the side of your feet, yikeeeesss. he'll stop. it's just a period he's going through. hold him in the back of the neck and say "no biting". then pet his face, rub his lips. if he does it again repeat this method. at some point he'll learn that if he doens't nip he can get a pet. the reason i rub his lips is to temp him to nip. i think it's natural that they will nip. when you can rub his mouth and he doesn't nip you have it made. i taught him not to snatch food by placing a hand on his chest and i would approach his mouth with a treat. at first he wants to snatch it. i would hold him back with hand on his chest. then i would bring the treat to his mouth. if he snatched i would pull it back. eventually he got it. now a child can habd feed him and he takes ever so gently. when he comes forward to take the treat it seems like he's in slow motion. good luck. be consistent and that means everyone in the house hold. train the same way.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I want to reiterate that this is normal dog behavior and not aggression. I've gone through this with little puppies and with big puppies too! What I did was to hand them a toy every time. They very quickly learned a "get your toy" command so that I could redirect them immediately to their toy. Then they started to automatically redirect themselves to a toy when they got worked up. I don't advocate getting rough back with them. This gives them a response, which is exactly what they're looking for.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Trust me I went through it with both of my Girls when they were pups, and it was NO fun, but as soon as they lost their baby teeth and grew in their adult teeth, the biting for the most part stopped, now when they bite, it's not like aggressive biting, it's like little love bites, which doesn't hurt, but when they act as though they're going to be mean and rough I have a command which they both know and understand, all I have to do is point at them and say with a firm voice "Be nice!" That works for us, but goodluck on that puppy biting, I know it isn't fun!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
a really tired puppy makes for a very happy owner....

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Sounds just like a normal GSD puppy to me!

Some are more 'bitey' than others.

It's play - appropriate with other puppies (and littermates have fur protection).

It's also typical that the more excited, the wilder it gets! Think human two year old meltdown...

Exercise - short sessions several times a day will help. Keep your voice calm.

Your pup will soon outgrow this stage --- Nature made them adorable so they'd be forgivable...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts