German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost 4 month old male GSD, he bites and nips like all puppies do.. My problem is when we go for walks (not every walk, but most) he starts growling and then he lunges at my feet, ankles, legs whatever he can bite and bites hard while doing it and doesn't stop, it's like he's possessed! I have come back home bleeding every time trying to stop him.. I have know idea what's causing him to do this! Anyone have any ideas why this happens? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As a 4 month old puppy it is highly unlikely he's showing aggression.

He's a puppy, he's teething, and he's a GSD. His behavior is normal, do not worry! You can give him a frozen Kong or maybe a flavored chew toy to help ease his discomfort. When my dog was teething I gave him lots of frozen treats, such as carrots, bananas, etc.

This site has great advice on how to teach your puppy to stop biting.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
It's not aggression. He is a puppy and is likely trying to engage you in play. Puppies explore their world with their mouths. You walk and your feet, legs and pants are like a fun moving tug toy right at their level. Add to that the teething between 4-6 months and you have a piranha on a leash.
It will get better. Try to engage your pup in eye contact with you while you are walking. Bring a tug toy or a ball on a rope with you on walks. If pup starts at your feet or pants distract with a command of "watch me" or "look" and when your pup looks at you reward with calm praise (good boy) and the toy and keep walking.
They do outgrow this "landshark" behavior.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
He is a puppy AND he is acting like a punk. It is normal, but doesn't have to be tolerated. Will he carry something in his mouth? Or maybe take a tug toy along to redirect him onto for play sessions during the walk. I don't tend to tolerate grabbing and tearing at my clothes beyond the little puppy stage and will either redirect or correct/redirect.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Have you started any training with him? Perhaps enrolling in a puppy obedience class would be helpful. I don't think your pup is being aggressive, but I would want to get this under control before he gets any bigger. An experienced trainer should be able to teach you how to correct this behavior. I would give him a leash correction, then tell him to sit (or watch or some other command he knows) and praise him when he obeys. Repeat whenever he tries to grab at you.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I don't believe a muzzle will do anything but frustrate him. I'm with the advice of having him carry a favorite toy and engaging him.

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
I used to carry a leather glove on a string to play with on walks. It became a reward for good behavior. Since we were in a rural wooded area we were always bringing home limbs. My big-boy who was just a little boy back then loved to RUN home with a huge limb. I could only run about a block but I tried to indulge him. He looked so proud, head high, chest out, stick bigger than he was.

Bottom line, use that desire to grab and tug and play to your advantage. When out walking find places to stop and play a little game of tug. Let him carry the toy. I suggest having a string on it so that when he drops it you don't have to circle back to pick it up.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
There is a reason why they call them land sharks. If you are out and forgot a toy or In an area where there is nothing to keep his mouth busy - obedience exercises help get them to redirect they are engaging with you in a controlled way and helps them use their brain again or their brain gets plugged back in. They do grow up fast and do become gentlemen!

·
Super Moderator
5,366 Posts
There is a reason why they call them land sharks. If you are out and forgot a toy or In an area where there is nothing to keep his mouth busy - obedience exercises help get them to redirect they are engaging with you in a controlled way and helps them use their brain again or their brain gets plugged back in. They do grow up fast and do become gentlemen!

oddly enough I sometimes miss that puppy enthusiasm and cheekiness. I have great adults now and they still make me laugh, but watching a pup grow and explore and cause a little mischief can be delightful.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey all, I also have a 4 month old GREAT WHITE LAND SHARK im dealing with. I understand that and its not really the issue, what im having a slight issue with is the snarling and hair going up at other dogs and rarely, but sometimes, people. This has been going on since I got him at 2 months, I know at this age they dont even really know what being aggressive is but has anyone dealt with the hair going up at this young age? Training and everything is going great and were doing the beginnings of schutzhund work which he loves and I did start taking him to daycare to get him better socialized which is definitely working.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
what a face.. trouble trouble trouble.... I am not sure but I think their hair can go up if they are insecure also. The uncertainty of a situation. Not just aggression....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey all, I also have a 4 month old GREAT WHITE LAND SHARK im dealing with. I understand that and its not really the issue, what im having a slight issue with is the snarling and hair going up at other dogs and rarely, but sometimes, people. This has been going on since I got him at 2 months, I know at this age they dont even really know what being aggressive is but has anyone dealt with the hair going up at this young age? Training and everything is going great and were doing the beginnings of schutzhund work which he loves and I did start taking him to daycare to get him better socialized which is definitely working.
Wow, thank you for this picture of your gorgeous pup!

The hair up and snarling at this age can be out of fearfulness, or insecurities, like Malibu has said. I don't think it's aggression. It can also be his style of play. Puppies sometimes do these things when they are playing - totally fine!

However, if in the future he's still doing it at seven, eight months of age, I would be worried. Early training and socialization is key to prevent this type of behavior, that can turn into fear aggression later in life.

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
First, if you are in an IPO club then talk to your TD. If you aren't in a club, what exactly are you doing to train IPO? It shouldn't be any more than obedience foundation games and tracking.

Second, the raised hackles and snarling is not "aggression" at this age. It's most likely fear and insecurity. I doubt it's play. And this behavior is often genetic. You can socialize to help it and maybe extinguish it.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Second, the raised hackles and snarling is not "aggression" at this age. It's most likely fear and insecurity. I doubt it's play. And this behavior is often genetic. You can socialize to help it and maybe extinguish it.
Raised hackles can also just be excitement and a little bit of uncertainly. A clumsy attempt at play. Not enough to call it fear. Insecurity can just be socialization and age and would go away as the pup matures. I don't know what the OP means by snarls without seeing it. All in all, these are really difficult to interpret w/out seeing in person. Perhaps if the OP can do a short smartphone video it would be clearer.

·
Registered
92 Posts
First, if you are in an IPO club then talk to your TD. If you aren't in a club, what exactly are you doing to train IPO? It shouldn't be any more than obedience foundation games and tracking.

Im in a club. TD says hes getting much better, says excitement and a little fear so were just working on socialization, he has super high drive for a WGSL. I think hes good as far as genetics, his lineage is filled with SchH3 as far back as it goes. He's getting better.. was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with it at this young age

·
Registered
32,588 Posts
Im in a club. TD says hes getting much better, says excitement and a little fear so were just working on socialization, he has super high drive for a WGSL. I think hes good as far as genetics, his lineage is filled with SchH3 as far back as it goes. He's getting better.. was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with it at this young age

I would listen to your TD. He has the hands on with your puppy. As far as reactiveness and suspicion, I think we've all dealt with it to some extent. Yours sounds like he has a little bit of nerve.

Seger never reacted to a person. At about 5 months old, he started to be a punk when he saw other dogs. Barking and lunging. He got a correction for it. Two corrections and he never did it again.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
@car2ner- Max is still very playful He can get amped up quick he is always looking at me and if we establish the eye contact with the smallest hint possibility of play he will run and get his toy or sit by the closet asking for his balls. A big pup at heart. I know what you mean though. I’m doing lot of puppy reminiscing- Luna we brought home around this time of a year and max a week before Christmas. Many puppy stories.
Puppies sure are fun but I do remember exhausting lol! I love the chasing of the blowing leaves. Their very first snow! Often I had a long line on the mischevious max when a young pup. I remember when he invented his own game and would chase the end of the long line around our middle island in the kitchen it did tire him out lol. Their first big holiday family parties. Max will still try to steal food from someone even if did not know them. Once he ate almost half of a rum cake! Snow shoveling was impossible with them around as pups they both would get clunked in the head by accident with the shovel. It was fun to watch Luna and max play and how gentle he was with her!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts