German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time poster. I'm kinda at my wits end and getting upset today over this. I have a 6 month male gsd. He is currently in one to one obedience training which started last week. He is walked everyday and 80% of the time either me or my partner is at home with him. He is crated when we are not there. Still a little bit mouthy but is reaching the end of his land shark phase.

He has never chewed anything in the house and is in general a great puppy. Over the last week he has started to become a nightmare to walk. Lunging at cyclists, runners, cars, barking at dogs etc. I have a harness on him as he is getting strong and pulling me around the place. Been a puppy i was thinking ok it's just another crazy phase. So I've kept up the walks hoping he would start to come around as he never done that kinda stuff before. Last month he did stay with a minder for two nights while we were away and all was fine.

This morning tho it took a different turn. My partner was dropping him off to a doggy day care as we have stuff on today. He went crazy growling at the lady and snapped at her leg. He didn't get her leg, only her trousers thankfully. But this has really scared us as he has never shown aggression to that extent. We have contacted breeder and trainer. Just waiting on replies.

Where do we go from here and what can we do to fix this. My partner has a 5 year old child so we can not take a chance on having an aggressive dog in the house. It would break my heart to rehome so I need help asap. Tia x

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
first, harnesses are designed to get dogs to pull.

what he is doing doesn't sound like aggression but a spoiled overactive puppy who has had no training. He's growing up.

What training have you done with him so far? How much exercise does he get? How much mental stimulation?
walks aren't really exercise for a 6 month GSD. He needs some flat out cardio at least a couple times a week. And daily work and training. Your trainer should be able to work out an exercise and training schedule to get him under control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi thanks for the reply. I have been using the lead on his collar but it seemed worse so I used the harness yesterday which felt like I could hold him better and not be yanking him by the neck every time he made a be line for someone or a car.

I'm the middle of the walk I do go to a big grass area and put on the recall line so he can run around the place and use up plenty of puppy energy so he is getting good excerise in. Would also play fetch and tug etc throughout the day with him in the house. Then I do some mental stimulation and training with him about 3 times a day. He does be around some family when we can get visits in, he comes on trips in the car etc so he gets to experience a variety of things.

His next obedience lesson is tomorrow so I'll be going over it fully with the trainer then. Has anyone tips on what they use for their dog that I could be using as maybe he is spoilt and knows how to play me. Need to nip this in the bud and be doing the best I can for him and me.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
periwinkle " I have a harness on him as he is getting strong and pulling me around the place"

Harnesses are garbage -- all politically correct -- fantastic to teach pulling , sleds, weight .
Even dogs that need to pull , guide dogs, therapy dogs (wheelchair) are taught manners
and obedience , controlled forward motion , first.
So now your pup who is getting stronger can pull you around better !

periwinkle "Been a puppy i was thinking ok it's just another crazy phase. So I've kept up the walks hoping he would start to come around as he never done that kinda stuff before"

And during that time when you haven't taken the wheel and given the dog direction , he has learned that going for a walk is a free for all , he can do what he wants , not focus on your , and go into prey drive when he is excited by moving cars , bikes , dogs. His physical constraint has frustrated him - which amps up his drive .
Classic IPO training by a decoy to want to make a dog prey drivey for the tug, sleeve, decoy.

Now you need to change things up.

Do not allow this . Every WALK is going to have a purpose which focuses on the dog being in synch with you and attentive.

Drive to an area , back of a school yard, an empty parking lot area . Pup comes out of crate on lead . There is no crazy walking to the area where you will do the training. This is what you are going to expect all the time - everywhere .

quote "The basic objective of obedience trials, however, is to recognize dogs that have been trained to behave in the home, in public places, and in the presence of other dogs, in a manner that will reflect credit on the sport of obedience at all times and under all conditions."

Train as if you are going to trial in a basic AKC / CKC companion dog trial. Dog Owner's Guide: Obed titles: CD

periwinkle "Still a little bit mouthy but is reaching the end of his land shark phase. "

I hope this wasn't indulged . There is no shark phase. It ends when you put an end to it.
Puppy needs to understand how to behave as a member of a social unit , whether it be amongst
it's own or the new human family it has joined.

periwinkle " He went crazy growling at the lady and snapped at her leg. He didn't get her leg, only her trousers thankfully. But this has really scared us as he has never shown aggression to that extent."

So he has shown aggression before ?

Question , has he had a rabies vaccination recently ?

spoiled , indulged dog , lack of leadership -- pup is raised "by the wolves" ----

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for advice, it's greatly appreciated. I'll move the lead back to the collar and start controlling this situation. Any time his teeth touch our skin we have been making a noise and disengaging with him. If it continues he gets time out. By continuing to walk him I thought I was doing good by getting the excerise in but after reading your post it makes sense that by doing that it was making the situation worse.

Today was the first time he has reacted like that and went for someone. Thankfully he didn't get her leg and just her trousers. I was at work so didn't witness it but my partner did and from what he said is enough to really concern both of us.

Had his last vaccination in March so he is not due anything until next March. We're in Ireland so no rabies shot.

·
Banned
192 Posts
periwinkle " I have a harness on him as he is getting strong and pulling me around the place"

Harnesses are garbage -- all politically correct -- fantastic to teach pulling , sleds, weight .
Even dogs that need to pull , guide dogs, therapy dogs (wheelchair) are taught manners
and obedience , controlled forward motion , first.
So now your pup who is getting stronger can pull you around better !

periwinkle "Been a puppy i was thinking ok it's just another crazy phase. So I've kept up the walks hoping he would start to come around as he never done that kinda stuff before"

And during that time when you haven't taken the wheel and given the dog direction , he has learned that going for a walk is a free for all , he can do what he wants , not focus on your , and go into prey drive when he is excited by moving cars , bikes , dogs. His physical constraint has frustrated him - which amps up his drive .
Classic IPO training by a decoy to want to make a dog prey drivey for the tug, sleeve, decoy.

Now you need to change things up.

Do not allow this . Every WALK is going to have a purpose which focuses on the dog being in synch with you and attentive.

Drive to an area , back of a school yard, an empty parking lot area . Pup comes out of crate on lead . There is no crazy walking to the area where you will do the training. This is what you are going to expect all the time - everywhere .

quote "The basic objective of obedience trials, however, is to recognize dogs that have been trained to behave in the home, in public places, and in the presence of other dogs, in a manner that will reflect credit on the sport of obedience at all times and under all conditions."

Train as if you are going to trial in a basic AKC / CKC companion dog trial. Dog Owner's Guide: Obed titles: CD

periwinkle "Still a little bit mouthy but is reaching the end of his land shark phase. "

I hope this wasn't indulged . There is no shark phase. It ends when you put an end to it.
Puppy needs to understand how to behave as a member of a social unit , whether it be amongst
it's own or the new human family it has joined.

periwinkle " He went crazy growling at the lady and snapped at her leg. He didn't get her leg, only her trousers thankfully. But this has really scared us as he has never shown aggression to that extent."

So he has shown aggression before ?

Question , has he had a rabies vaccination recently ?

spoiled , indulged dog , lack of leadership -- pup is raised "by the wolves" ----
You keep saying things like "put an end to this" and "don't allow this". But I don't see any specific action that OP should do. Take me for example, I have a 5 month old pup, she is good most of the time. But she has a bad habit of jumping up on me and clawing me with her paws. She also bites on the leash and tugs on it during walks. So how can I not allow this? I tell her NO NO NO, stop, stop, I push her off I even swat her down sometimes when it gets so frustrating. She sees this as play in my opinion. She is all happy when we have this little daily battle. So how a I supposed to "put an end to this" or not "allow it"? I don't want to hit her, though when she was younger and was viciously snapping at me (like really bad, she would bite and shake and growl) I one time got so mad I smacked her hard. Well that put an end to it, she never since then, ever, bit me like that again. She mouths very gently now. Let me just say I use a harness because she was choking herself on the collar. How do I stop the jumping and leash biting?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Collar or harness, if the leash is tight Periwinkle, he's not behaving.Its likely you've built some frustration from trying to restrain him all the time and as he's gotten older he's figured out lunging at things will get him what he wants. Everytime they're able to go forward with it, it encourages them to do it even more. I'd focus on his behavior with your family and just treat him like he will bite strangers. Other people don't have to pet him, tell them your working on manners and ask them to please ignore him. Look for some indifference from him towards other people. Think in terms of respect from him towards the 5yr old, not affection or love.

The trainer needs to help you end the biting now. At 6mos there's likely to be some intent behind it and its not going to be anything your going to want to escalate.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Collar or harness, if the leash is tight Periwinkle, he's not behaving.Its likely you've built some frustration from trying to restrain him all the time and as he's gotten older he's figured out lunging at things will get him what he wants. Everytime they're able to go forward with it, it encourages them to do it even more. I'd focus on his behavior with your family and just treat him like he will bite strangers. Other people don't have to pet him, tell them your working on manners and ask them to please ignore him. Look for some indifference from him towards other people. Think in terms of respect from him towards the 5yr old, not affection or love.

The trainer needs to help you end the biting now. At 6mos there's likely to be some intent behind it and its not going to be anything your going to want to escalate.
Hi, you seem to know a lot. I have a jumping and clawing problem. Also a biting the leash problem. I also use a harness, she is 5 months old. How to I properly correct this without having to smack the dog. (I did this one time to stop the biting, it worked, but I promised myself to never do it again. I felt terrible afterwards and have never done it before or since.)

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Totally agree to ditch the harness. I also think, by what you describe, that you will be heading to a prong training collar so you can change this up quickly. With a dog like this, you will have no control with a flat lead and it could damage his neck if he is lunging. I hope this trainer has worked with these types of dogs... uncontrolled GSDs and is willing to use multiple tools to turn this around... not just a bunch of treats.

I also hope the trainer is going to take a hard look at you. I think you have to really consider that you are starting all over as a trainer. So be ready to go back to square one and really firm up the structure within which this dog is expected to live. You have to change what you are doing and really hone your training skills and leadership presence. Some dogs are adaptable to loose structure and sloppy obedience and leadership, some dogs are definitely not. By the sound of it, this puppy does not experience you as a respected leader. He is taking matters into his own paws because he doesn't trust you to manage it. It is going to take time to change that up. But I also definitely think if you commit and really dig into it, you can do it.

I would write down everything your trainer wants you to do, keep a log of your training, repeat often, make sure there is fun there but that you control the fun, be willing to go back to square one, meet with the trainer weekly for now.

Keep us posted! Good luck, no problem going back to square one... many (all) of us have had to do it at one point or another. Commit, commit, commit.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi, you seem to know a lot. I have a jumping and clawing problem. Also a biting the leash problem. I also use a harness, she is 5 months old. How to I properly correct this without having to smack the dog. (I did this one time to stop the biting, it worked, but I promised myself to never do it again. I felt terrible afterwards and have never done it before or since.)
Please start your own thread so this doesn't get too confusing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm definitely willing to go back to the start and commit to this beautiful dog. Especially after me doing everything ass ways which has now brought us to this bad behavior. Meeting the trainer tomorrow so will go through everything and take notes.

I will keep ye posted. Thanks again for the advice :)

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
How do I properly correct this without having to smack the dog. (I did this one time to stop the biting, it worked, but I promised myself to never do it again. I felt terrible afterwards and have never done it before or since.)
The Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan said sometimes the dog needs a good kick or smack.. it worked right? >:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great video. Felt like crap earlier and thought I wouldn't be able to do this but if someone can do that with that dog there is hope for me and my puppy after all :)
Got home from work and went right back to the start with the obedience and took no bad behavior. Time to get serious now and commit to getting him trained properly. No excuses and letting him off with stuff here and there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Great video. Felt like crap earlier and thought I wouldn't be able to do this but if someone can do that with that dog there is hope for me and my puppy after all :)
Got home from work and went right back to the start with the obedience and took no bad behavior. Time to get serious now and commit to getting him trained properly. No excuses and letting him off with stuff here and there.
thanks awesome good luck with the training... im actually using this same technique to try to get my puppy to stop rushing out of her crate.. its working so far.. but I'm also giving treats when she waits without rushing

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just back with an update. Sherlock is now 8 months old and is doing well with obedience training. No more chasing or lunging at people walking, jogging or cycling. Also no more lunging at cars. Walks have become really enjoyable.

I do go to green areas when it's quite and no one around to give him a good run around and playing fetch etc so he is getting plenty of excerise and not just walks.

No more mouthing as he got a time out everytime he done it. Really happy and proud of how much progress we are making. First time been a dog owner so it's a learning curve.

There is just two things currently going on that I need some advice on. If anyone could help we would really appreciate it :)

1) He loves been in the car so travelling is fine. It's when we are going slow or stopped and he sees another dog he goes crazy barking and nothing I say stops him. Obviously I'm driving so I'm not in a position to turn around or go near him. It only stops when we get out of view.

2) As I said above walks have become really enjoyable now and he will walk by people, bikes etc with no hassle. Some times he will even walk by dogs and there will be no barking. Some bark at him and he doesn't pass any heed and other times its him giving one or two little barks. I do correct him if he barks at other dogs and he stops and moves along again walking. The issue is when strangers or even people I would know but the dog wouldn't know he goes mad barking and jumping. Freaking out as such. Now he doesn't go for the person but it can be scary for someone talking to me or my partner. I have him muzzled when walking in public and on a short leash. Obedience is used when were out but when he is like that with strangers he doesn't really listen.

Just wondering if people have advice on what I'm to do so he knows and so I can train him the correct way. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,359 Posts
Investigate bark collars if you can't seem to correct him effectively on your own.There are collars that recognize your individual dog's bark rather than stimming him for another dog's bark or just a random noise.Sounds like you're making progress though.Keep up the good work!

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
If I think Gryffon will react to another dog while he is in the car, I give him a
Down command (so he can't see the other dog/horse/moose/bear etc . . . ) , then release him the object of potential barking reaction is out of sight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts