German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
The problem you may run into with harsh corrections for this behavior around other dogs would be a dislike of other dogs. i.e.: "every time I see a dog, I get a harsh correction. Other dogs must not be good". Over time the other dog can be viewed as a prelude to correction and your dog's emotional state may change from wanting to play to wanting to push the other dog away.

I would work on solid obedience so you can ask for a sit and look at you as the dog passes. Then you have a dog that thinks "every time dog comes up I get to do something and I get a reward - other dogs coming are good".

You have to begin working on this at home and under low distractions and then build up. You want to keep his arousal level down below the jump, bark, lunge stage so he does not reward himself. This behavior is a self rewarding behavior or else he would not be doing it. In the meantime, when you see other dogs approach give them LOTS of space where you know he won't lunge or simply command him "let's go" in a firm but upbeat tone of voice and turn around and walk in the other direction. Turn around and go before he starts his arousal behavior.

You will have to watch his body to make sure you keep him in low arousal, you never want to do things that reward high arousal.

The CU book is great, there are several games to play that help build impulse control and an exercise called "Look at That!" which is very helpful too.

You migth consider enrolling in a small obedience class or enlist a private trainer that uses positive methods to help you with this too.

Do you have any one that you know that has friendly dogs? It sounds as if your poor dog was isolated and never learned how to interact. Maybe you can let them play in a safe enclosed area. Just be careul and take it slow and keep your guy on a drag line.

A dog that has been well socialized and knows how to interact can certainly be corrected for rude behavior around other dogs. I corrct my well socialized dogs for poor behavior and they don't associate it with the other dog. But a dog that has no clue would probably be better off without corrections for awhile.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
If you let us know in general terms where you are we may be able to help with trainers.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.