German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I have a 1 year old male GSD who was recently neutered. He is a timid shepherd, he doesn't like to be pet by anyone except me and my family or people he regularly sees, but I don't have problems with him being aggressive towards people unless we are in my house. When guests come in he barks/lunges at them, but then he will calm down after a few minutes. However if the guest may try to pet him once inside the house or walk towards him in some cases he will begin to bark and become aggressive again. I started working with an in-home trainer about a month ago and haven't seen a lot of progress. The goal with the trainer was to use a "place" command which my dog will go on his blanket and have time to observe the situation while people enter the house. However he will break "place" unless he is on a leash when someone enters. The trainer uses a leash correction with a choke collar to try and negate the behavior when my dog barks/lunges. Does anyone have any suggestions? I believe part of the problem is my dog is timid as it is and I need to build his confidence. I really want to feel comfortable inviting guests into my house with my dog. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
He will probably never be totally comfortable with strangers.Put him behind a baby gate so he can observe and feel safe.Have your guests ignore him.If you let people approach and touch him when he's showing you how afraid he's feeling ,he may feel he has no choice except to bite to keep the scary people away.
My Gsd doesn't care for strangers either but he's comfortable being near them now because I don't allow anyone to touch him.If someone reaches toward him he steps behind me if we're out and about.I help him out by blocking them.At home he'll lay calmly close by.If someone reaches for him he just moves elsewhere.Occasionally he'll decide the visitor is trustworthy and will solicit pets.
Your dog will get more comfortable when he feels safe and "you have his back",and in his own time.This has been my experience:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts