German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I got a puppy when he was 10 weeks old a year after I had to put my other German Shepard down for old age. This dog is nothing like the one I had for 13 years. He was good around people but still very protective. I knew how to watch him and what situations he would not be comfortable in. The new puppy I got has not liked anyone other than me and 2 other people since the day I got him.

As a puppy I took him to our office to socialize him but from the first day I took him there he barked and lunged at people. I tried having people ignore him and turn sideways while throwing him treats but he would go after them as soon as they turned to walk off.

When he turned about 4 months old we started taking him to dog daycare to be around other dogs and he did great. He loved to play with them but still hated people. At 5 months old I had some people over and made sure they gave him treats and did pay any attention to him but all he did was lay at my feet and look at them. Finally one of them got up and he jumped up and bit there butt as they were walking in the kitchen.

Since then I have hired a trainer to help him become more social but nothing is working. He is now 7 months and lunged at my niece the other day and barks at anyone who comes around. Our trainer thinks he is just a very fearful dog with the fight instinct not flight instinct. She has recommended we find him a new home with someone who does not have kids or many people around.

It’s breaks my heart to give him up after raising him from a puppy but I would never want to put anyone in danger and he is big. At 8 months he is about 87lbs. Does anyone have any advise or is it time to accept he is an aggressive dog and try to find him another home more acceptable to his personality?

·
Super Moderator
5,124 Posts
I cannot imagine how hard this is. Make sure if someone comes to adopt him from you that you know for a fact this person knows what he is getting and can handle it. This is tough.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My only question is does he absolutely need to be around other people? Do you live with your niece? If you can somehow keep him in a situation where he doesn't need to interact with other people often, or at least people he doesn't trust, you might be able to keep him.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Biting people as they walk away isn't fight. Since I don't know who is going to want a dog with this temperament, as long as he's safe with you, try stopping all the socializing and that stuff. Put him away when people come over and keep him on a leash at a distance from people in public. Think indifference not friendly and see if that settles him down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your comments but yes my family and friends do come around often. The problem we have right now is I do not think I can trust him around anyone I am to scared how he might react. If it was just a matter of putting him up around just my niece I would be fine with that. I always watched my old GSD very closely around kids and new people. He was a little curious but would end up just going to lay down. This one has to be on a leash anytime someone is in the house because he has lundged after several people.

Our trainer has had him for over a month and saw good things until last week. Her son who she had introduced him to and who he seemed to really like came up to the car the other day to say hi and he went nuts.

Can a dog like this ever be trained to be around people. My last dog lived 13 years and I hope this one does to but I cannot see haveing to put the dog away every time my niece or a friend comes over. He had always been good around her until we turned out back for one second and he went after her. An it’s just not her he just does not seem to like people. Is that just in his dna or can I keep getting him trained and hope it can be fixed?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for your comments but yes my family and friends do come around often. The problem we have right now is I do not think I can trust him around anyone I am to scared how he might react. If it was just a matter of putting him up around just my niece I would be fine with that. I always watched my old GSD very closely around kids and new people. He was a little curious but would end up just going to lay down. This one has to be on a leash anytime someone is in the house because he has lundged after several people.

Our trainer has had him for over a month and saw good things until last week. Her son who she had introduced him to and who he seemed to really like came up to the car the other day to say hi and he went nuts.

Can a dog like this ever be trained to be around people. My last dog lived 13 years and I hope this one does to but I cannot see haveing to put the dog away every time my niece or a friend comes over. He had always been good around her until we turned out back for one second and he went after her. An it’s just not her he just does not seem to like people. Is that just in his dna or can I keep getting him trained and hope it can be fixed?
We had a shepherd mix growing up that was like 85% GSD that acted this way, but only in defense of me as a baby(she almost took someone's hand off for trying to touch my cheeks lol). She out grew it as I got older. So there is a chance that he's acting out of protection for you without realizing you don't need the protection. If you have the spare money, I think continuing to work with a trainer could go a long way and as Steve suggested, keep him on a leash and away from people whenever possible.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Bets thing you can do is accept it and stop all forced stranger socialization. Show your dog that he doesn’t need to be scared because you will keep him safe and keep strangers away. Teach him to ignore people completely. This is possible, but getting him to be social may never be possible. Kona has become a little more social after stopping all socialization.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts