German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my German Shepherd is now 11 months, he is already the biggest dog of the house.

Recently he has been displaying a somewhat agressive behavior towards another dog of mine (an approximately 12 months old mixed-breed medium sized dog). They also have been occasionally fighting (however with no serious injury).

I am not sure what might be reason, but I will describe some facts of his life:
- He was 2 months old when he was brought home. He has been living with a mixed-breed mediumsized dog a little older than him and two Labrator retrievers around 10 years old.
- He was well taken care of, however occasionally some other habitants of my house would yell at him for barking and etc. He inherit the barking behavior mostly from the Labrators.
- One of the Labrators likes to be the alpha, and is often yelling at the others if they are annoying. Since he did that from the beggining, the german shepherd and mixed-breed seems to have learnt to ignore his growls.
- He display absolute no agressive behavior towards people.
- If one of the cats in my house runs from him, he run after them. But he doesn't hurt the cats or anything (but he can be really annoying).
- Somewhat around 7 years old he was attacked by a Boxer who broke off the collar. It didn't cause any serious injury to him (he was already bigger than the Boxer) but he was very scared of it. However this only happened a single time, so I don't know if he could be traumatized or not.
- He didn't receive professional training, and he is not such as obedient as I would like him to be.
- When I am walking to him, he usually attempts barks to dogs inside yards.
- He does well with others dog in public parks and etc, however for dogs of the size of a Labrator or more he takes a afraid aggressive posture, even for gentle dogs. My dog doesn't bite, but he "yell" at the other dogs.
- He used to play, run and etc with the mixed-breed dog a lot. Not so much recently. He is more than often growling to him (however he doesn't with other dogs in the house).

Overall he gets scared of big dogs he doesn't know, but won't get in a fight with them. But what I am more bothered is that he is growling to my mixed-breed dog. I am a little suspicious he may be jealous for my attemption, but I don't think that's is the reason behind all of his hostility.

Sorry about my English. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I think you meant to say 7 months not 7 years right?

It does sound like the run in with the Boxer left a bad impression. Combine that with your boy starting to grow up some - teen time.

You should get a trainer involved quickly. Work on his obedience and get the re-activity under control.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
You have two dogs very close to the same age that are entering adolescence at the same time. Pack structure/dominance/adulthood squabble are almost inevitable. Ever been in a house with two young teenagers? Same thing.

Don't leave them together unsupervised.

Allow them to work it out to an extent, but always be ready to step in if it begins to get too serious.

Hopefully they'll get their pack structure worked out with as little bloodshed as possible.

If you're not sure this is something you're comfortable handling, by all means hire a trainer to help you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts