German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog Alpina is now 20 months.
I take her out everyday and unleash her in a huge parking here she can freely run and enjoy.
But the problem is that everytime she sees someone whether she is on leash or without, she barks heavily and tries to attack the person though she never bit anyone yet. She is always over hyperactive.
What can I do to stop her from barking and scaring people and my neighbors since they now think she is very aggressive but she is really not? :help:

·
Registered
594 Posts
A couple of pieces of advice, since you asked: First: STOP LETTING HER RUN FREELY. It is YOUR JOB to make sure that she is under control -- you cannot do that if she is off leash and at some distance from you. Second: if she is barking at and trying to attack people, she IS aggressive. Don't ignore this or pretend otherwise until she actually does hurt someone; you need to step up and PREVENT her from having access. Do not set her up in an environment or situation where she will end up biting someone. Third: See your vet for a check up, and then GET SOME PROFESSIONAL TRAINING HELP. Find a behaviorist and/or an experienced trainer who is knowledgeable about aggressive dogs and has a good track record for behavior modification. This is not a problem most pet owners can deal with adequately, and a 20 month old German Shepherd who is attacking people is definitely a problem needing to be addressed IMMEDIATELY.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
OP clearly is on the fence. Her thread title is 'Aggressive behaviour with people' but states 'What can I do to stop her from barking and scaring people and my neighbors since they now think she is very aggressive but she is really not?'

Go with what Echo said. Look at http://www.germanshepherds.com/foru.../150197-gsd-bites-3-vaughan-toronto-area.html this thread. THIS COULD BE YOUR ANIMAL. Do not forget to have the thyroid checked at the vets.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I agree with everyone. I have a truly people aggressive dog(Victor). You can't bring these types of dogs into an enviroment where they could bite someone. You should never allow her to run free. Also, if she is going after everyone she sees then yes, she is aggressive. She is a lawsuit waiting to happen if you allow her to run freely.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I take her out everyday and unleash her in a huge parking here she can freely run and enjoy.
But the problem is that everytime she sees someone whether she is on leash or without, she barks heavily and tries to attack the person though she never bit anyone yet. She is always over hyperactive.
What can I do to stop her from barking and scaring people and my neighbors since they now think she is very aggressive but she is really not? :help:
Can you describe what you mean when you say she tries to "attack the person?"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Barking is not neccessarily aggression. If the dog is barking at strangers they are most likely afraid of them. I would hire a trainer and work on re-introducing the dog to other people. Socializing is very important, and if you can find people to do it the correct way, it can make all the difference.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
If she tries to attack, I she is aggressive!

And if that is the case, you need to get a pro trainer post haste! Before she does bite someone and you and her get in real trouble!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
You can't seriously think allowing your dog to run freely is a good idea given her behavior right? She is aggressive and possibly very under socialized, has a thyroid problem, or is genetically predisposed to this behavior. I have a female who is a lot like her and we don't allow her near people because of it.

What do you do when she charges people barking, how was she socialized, has she gone to any training classes, and is she good with any people or just barking at strangers outside?

I would enroll in a beginner OB class with her, make sure your leadership with her is on point, and begin socializing her by just encouraging her not to bark while leashed and being walked:)

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
You can't seriously think allowing your dog to run freely is a good idea given her behavior right? She is aggressive and possibly very under socialized, has a thyroid problem, or is genetically predisposed to this behavior. I have a female who is a lot like her and we don't allow her near people because of it.

What do you do when she charges people barking, how was she socialized, has she gone to any training classes, and is she good with any people or just barking at strangers outside?

I would enroll in a beginner OB class with her, make sure your leadership with her is on point, and begin socializing her by just encouraging her not to bark while leashed and being walked:)
Ditto about letting your dog run free! if you do continue, I would try to find a GOOD lawyer as it is likely you will need one sooner rather than later.

Also make sure that you mention to whatever obedience class instructor you decide to enter that your dog is people aggresive! many will not want to let you enter the class - there are some classes offered by some organizations for "Growly dogs" that might also be a good choice; but let the instructor know and they can help you choose.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok..first thanks for all of ur answers.. I think you guys misunderstood.. and that is my fault.
SHe is not gonna bite anyone. How i know ? well she runs barking to a person, smells him, or jumps on him, or barks next to him, and then come back. Also the place where she runs freely is not populated, it is a big space fenced and its just me and her and some frnds whom she doesnt bark at. She is excellent with people. Even people she first bark at, if they come near her and caress her, she plays with them and is very friendly to them. I want to add here.. that even at 100 meters distance If i call her to come, she comes with no hesitation. IF she running to some stranger or even frnd.. and i call her to stop and come back, she does that. She rarely doesnt respond, and when she doesnt, she doesnt hurt. My dog lives with me in the house, she sees people coming in and out all the time. When i walk her on leash. She barks on some people and try to approach them, but not every1. So from the beginning, the dog is extra hyper, she keeps wana run and play, and when she sees people she barks at them and tries to approach but i dont let her using the leash. UNLESS the person is a frnd i let her approach and smell him and then she calms down. but if hes a stranger i cant let her approach. so she scares pedestrians. What can i do to make her pass by people and not give them that attention or scare them? IF you guys need to know more.. ask me i'll answer.. sorry for that misunderstanding.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Is her tail wagging when she barks at these people? If not it is still aggression and not safe:) Some dogs like my lab will bark happily tail wagging a million miles a minutes when they see someone- they are over excited. Then there is barking with hackles up, tail straight out or up, and ears forward- that is I don't you like you barking and not okay.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is her tail wagging when she barks at these people? If not it is still aggression and not safe:) Some dogs like my lab will bark happily tail wagging a million miles a minutes when they see someone- they are over excited. Then there is barking with hackles up, tail straight out or up, and ears forward- that is I don't you like you barking and not okay.

Her tail is always wagging when she barks at people

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I have known plenty of dogs that wag their tail when they bite:).

Also, consider if she scares someone and they fall over and become injured. Happened to someone I know recently (dog NEVER touched the person). Owner was taken to court and lost.

Use a 30 foot long line at all times. This leaves plenty of room to run, play fetch, etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have known plenty of dogs that wag their tail when they bite:).

Also, consider if she scares someone and they fall over and become injured. Happened to someone I know recently (dog NEVER touched the person). Owner was taken to court and lost.

Use a 30 foot long line at all times. This leaves plenty of room to run, play fetch, etc.

thats a nice idea.. but she will keep barking on people even if she is on leash..and that is not a solution to the problem. I want her to stop that Aggression or hyperness or excitement or wutever we wana call it.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
your not going to stop her aggression, hyperness as you call it unless you train her do have some self control, and that training does not happen over night..............i agree professional help would be a good idea.......

·
Registered
537 Posts
My 2 cents...she may be coming into her "protective self". Mia started this at about 18 months, and Bella is now starting (when the doorbell rings, etc.). My dogs love people but aggressively bark at other dogs...something we are working on. I would leash walk her and when you see a person make her go into the "down" position and stay. This puts her into a submission position, one you want her to start getting used to and a behavior you want to have a well socialized dog.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My 2 cents...she may be coming into her "protective self". Mia started this at about 18 months, and Bella is now starting (when the doorbell rings, etc.). My dogs love people but aggressively bark at other dogs...something we are working on. I would leash walk her and when you see a person make her go into the "down" position and stay. This puts her into a submission position, one you want her to start getting used to and a behavior you want to have a well socialized dog.

you are the first one that is making sense in this thread. Im sure i dont need professional trainer to help me go thru this. And im sure its not a big problem as some guys are making out of it. I mean what are these forums for if ur gonna tell me to go to pro trainer for help ? i wouldnt post here if i wana go to a school.

Anyway, I have started this week grabbing her attention when people are around and i feel she might bark at. and she doesnt bark when i do that, she just looks at them, and get distracted by me. Its working sometimes. Im gonna try the down position from now on. But the problem is if i am walking her and suddenly some1 is passing, i wont have time to make her go down if u know wut i mean. Just today i was walking her, and one of my neighbors who is scared of dogs, was nearby, she always barks at him, and he runs away. This time i convinced him to come closer even when she is barking. So he did slowly, and she was barking and jumping but she was on leash. Just as soon as he touched her, she was calm, and didnt bark anymore, she didnt hurt him or even try to. This is why i say she is not aggressive I know she is not gonna hurt any1. BUT when the guy finished caressing her, and was turning around to leave, she again barked at him and tried to pull me towards him. I mean why ? After all the effort i did to make him come closer, she scares him again. LOL.

One more thing. Can u please explain briefly about coming into her " Protective self " as u call it. I mean i know wut it means, but what is that phase in these breeds, and what happens ?
Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts