German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I’m hoping somebody can assist me.
We have a gorgeous female GSD called Sam, we’ve had her for about 3.5 years and she’ll be turning 3 in September.

we have 2 daughters aged 5 and 8. Sam loves the 5yr old but it would seem like she can’t stand our 8yr old.... the little one can do anything with or to her but she’s forever nipping our older daughter. She’s scraped her with her teeth before but haven’t actually butter her (yet)

she’ll just walk pass her and she’ll try nip her, if they’re playing in the garden or in the pool, same thing. She doesn’t pay any attention to the youngest but won’t take her eyes off the oldest.

a couple of evenings ago our oldest were sitting on our patio and she walked passed her and reached for her again, this time in the direction of her face.

my husband wants to get rid of her, and I’m completely realistic with what she’s capable of doing to her, so want to make sure we do everything for both her and our daughter that we can.

she doesn’t taunt her, and there doesn’t seem to be a trigger. Right now our 5yr old is basically sitting on her back and tickling her ears, she seems super happy and content. Our oldest daughter couldn’t dream of doing that!

many help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks so much!

EM

·
Registered
31,129 Posts
Have you hired a trainer to evaluate exactly what is happening in your home? I can't believe this hasn't been going on for awhile so I hope you have a trainer on board already.

Have you contacted the breeder regarding returning her?

·
Registered
346 Posts
How can you be absolutely positive that your 8 yr. old hasn't done something to cause this? I know you can't watch them all the time but in my experience with kids, it's usually something(s) the child HAS done and the dog hasn't forgotten it.
And it's always when a parent isn't looking or even in the same room.
Have you discussed this with your 8 yr. old?
Years ago we had a toy poodle that was a fine upstanding family member until he started being intolerant of my older boy
who was 7-8 yrs. old. every time the older boy came near the poodle, poodle was defensive, growling and ready to snap. I'm sure it was caused by my son teasing the dog when I wasn't looking. Dog was fine with the little brother who was a kind animal lover to all kinds of critters. Older boy was never animal crazy so this would fit.

Tough spot you're in. I don't envy your situation.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Just my opinion, but you won't "fix" this. Get rid of the dog before it bites your daughter!

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. First things first... If you don't want to rehome the dog, you MUST hire a trainer or a behaviourist to find out the root of your dog's resentment towards your older child. Only then can you start to see if it can be fixed ort possible to fix a problem if you don't know what's causing the problem in the 1st place.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you do decide to hire a trainer or a behaviourist, please do that ASAP and make it a priority. From your story the result could very much be catastrophic.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The behavior is extremely troubling. If the dog decides to actually do something, a GSD is capable of massive, irreparable damage in a matter of seconds. Your dog has already given enough indications that she's on that path.

The ideal solution, the most humane, responsible to all parties, and educational, would be to hire an experienced trainer to diagnose the situation and try to correct it. Ideally, you would do this immediately, right now. Unfortunately, that's going to be hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

We adopted a half-chihuahua, half-Jack Russell Terrier once (I know...), and it nipped my daughter several times in the hand for no reason. We rehomed the dog after a few days, because even a small dog can do terrible damage to a 3-year old. In fact, my daughter once was bit half an inch from her eye when she was two years old by my parents' terrier, not even knowing the dog was in the area. It happened in a flash.

I would have made sure to take care of this long before the point you're currently at. Personally, I would look into rehoming the dog somewhere without kids. Again, it only takes a second.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi all, I’m hoping somebody can assist me.
We have a gorgeous female GSD called Sam, we’ve had her for about 3.5 years and she’ll be turning 3 in September.
How can you have a dog for 3.5 years before she is even 3 years of age?

I take it that's a typo error?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts