German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new here but really need some help/advice. I have a one year old German shepherd, Maxie. A little back story, my husband and I have five kids, a nice size house and a huge yard. Right away our dog took to our baby who was 11 months at the time. They are still best friends and this dogs patience for my now 2 year old is out of this world. However, she is not that way with the other kids. I have 6 year old twins who she quickly started showing aggression towards. We would correct her behavior but it still persisted for no reason. She ended up being so aggressive with others we couldn’t have people around her. So we did a 12 week training course and continued for bi weekly training and she was better. However, the last few weeks she has begun lunging and growling at my twins and will go after their hands, when they are literally just walking. I keep thinking maybe they did something I missed but they aren’t. I feel like we need to rehome her because obviously my kids safety is most important. But I feel heartbroken that I am a failure. I love this dog so much but I don’t know what to do. Any advice without judgement please

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
What your dog needs are clear boundries and some tough love!

You might, and probably should, find a good balanced trainer to help you establish these boundaries. But at 1 yr old, you need to be firm. Absolutely do not ever allow her to harass or pursue a child, for any reason! It's a HARD LINE!

If she's good, you're good. If/when she's not, you're reaction NEEDS to be intense and immediate! And that's why it can be very helpful to hire a trainer for a bit to help show you how.

It's about teaching the dog. Puppies don't come preprogrammed (I'm not sure why it either, if Windows can do it, why not puppies? LOL!).

Anyway, the sooner you address this the easier it will be on both your dog and you, so, to borrow a phrase from Nike - "Just Do It"!

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
What does the trainer, who has known this dog and your family for months, have to say?

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
How EXACTLY did you correct the first time your dog "quickly started showing aggression" towards the twins?

David, you know this family and trainer?

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
How EXACTLY did you correct the first time your dog "quickly started showing aggression" towards the twins?

David, you know this family and trainer?
Not at all, but a paragraph of information over the internet is a poor excuse for an evaluation. One person's "aggression" is another person's "excited play." There was a trainer involved who knows the dog and presumably the rest of the family. They would have a much better insight into the dynamics of the situation.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Not at all, but a paragraph of information over the internet is a poor excuse for an evaluation. One person's "aggression" is another person's "excited play." There was a trainer involved who knows the dog and presumably the rest of the family. They would have a much better insight into the dynamics of the situation.
ahhh I had to look back and see there was a trainer involved previously.

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
Is the dog resource guarding her favorite kid? Are you sure the twins didn't do anything to her in the past? For now she shouldn't be close to the twins off leash but be rewarded for her good behavior. The twins are old enough to cooperate with you. They need to ignore the dog, drop treats when walking by while you have her leashed etc. But one twin at a time. Also have the twins feed her while she is on leash with you. She basically needs all good experiences with them like games under your supervision. Can you post a video so we can see her body language in the presence of the kids, also with the youngest one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dog is very bad / jumps if people cuddle or if they carry another child. Could it be something similar with your twins holding and cuddling? If they are just walking and the dog runs up behind and snaps at the hands, then we would do a straight time out. Firm no, nice and calm, TIME OUT, and into a quiet room for 1 minute. We did that every time our dog snapped or nipped as a child and it soon learnt that this behaviour meant less fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,631 Posts
My dog is very bad / jumps if people cuddle or if they carry another child. Could it be something similar with your twins holding and cuddling? If they are just walking and the dog runs up behind and snaps at the hands, then we would do a straight time out. Firm no, nice and calm, TIME OUT, and into a quiet room for 1 minute. We did that every time our dog snapped or nipped as a child and it soon learnt that this behaviour meant less fun.
If this method worked, why are you having so much trouble with your dog?

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I don't think aggression directed at children should be handled with a keyboard.
Kids are my line in the sand.
OP you need a trainer or the dog needs to go. Please update us.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I'm glad that worked for you but I don't think it had the desired consequences you intended. Depending on the age of the pup, snapping at family members needs more of a firm hand imo. A "I don't ever want to do that again" moment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts