German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help understanding what is going on with our 7 1/2 month old female GSD. She is going to be my service dog and we got her from a reputable breeder at 8 weeks. Was garuanteed hips elbows for 2 years and both parents tested good. At 5 1/2 months had x-rays as was showing subtle signs of discomfort and was diagnosed with severe bi lateral hip dysplasia. Went to board certified surgeon, evaluated and had right hip Double Pelvic Osteotomy 4 weeks ago. During rehab I (husband) tended to her all the time with wife helping. Before surgery we were doing great in training with both of us training her with trainer. She had no aggression issues at all. Recently in past week, she would show signs of affection to my wife, but if I was on the couch and my wife approached me she would growl. The past two days this has escalated at times to her lunging and aggressive barking at her (she has been on a leash indoors due to hip surgery). Any reason why she is now reacting this way? If my wife leaves the house and comes back, our puppy greats her like its her best friend. Confused as why she is doing this then acting very aggressive to my wife if my wife approaches me while I'm on the couch near her puppy bed, since that is where she sleeps next to me as she is healing from surgery. She has her left hip surgery next week.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Without seeing this interaction first hand, and knowing a bit more background, it's hard to say "why". It sounds like it could be either resource guarding, or she's still in pain from her surgery and doesn't feel comfortable with anyone approaching her while she's resting, or it could be specific to your wife. What happens, for example, if she's sitting with the dog and you or someone else approaches? Either way, it shouldn't be taken personally by your wife!

Since she has another surgery and recovery coming up, for whatever reason your dog doesn't feel comfortable with the situation, so to the degree you can just avoid it.

I'd either put her in a crate to rest, or at least move her bed or set up a smallish secure area in another room where she can rest and recover from the surgery without feeling threatened.

In addition, I would have your wife take full advantage of the times and situations where the dog is comfortable to build trust and engagement with the dog. But again, after her recovery. Best of luck with her surgery!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Get an experienced trainer on board. Also contact your breeder, if they are reputable they will want to know about the issues you are experiencing.

Asking for advice about aggression from people whose background and experience you don't know and who have never seen your dog is quite dangerous.

·
Registered
16,066 Posts
sounds to me like she's resource guarding you from the wife. For now, I'd eliminate the problem. 1. dog's butt on the floor 2. you make a point of getting up when your wife comes into the room or before that and walking in with her. Any time the dog starts acting up with family, it's butt hits the floor. Furniture is a privilege that dogs may or may not get but if they get it, they only get it when it is earned.. Being a jerk is not earning the privilege.

·
Registered
16,066 Posts
OK so I cant edit my post but - surgery be damned, dog's butt goes on the floor. Maybe a check up with the vet is in order, too. You might also evaluate if this happens at certain times of the day, what the light is like behind your wife as she enters the room, etc. BUT dog's butt goes on the floor regardless of the other variables (you still need to check them out.)

·
Registered
571 Posts
From what I understood-the OP is sitting on the couch and the dog is on her bed near the couch. Not on the couch. But it does sound like a resource guarding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts