German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sasha has been in puppy socials since I got her. She has no problems in off leash dog areas, parks, Home Depot. I could pretty much bring her everywhere. But when I walk her out of our apartment, she want to aggressively bark and lunge at neighbors. Also when we go on walks in our neighborhood and she encounters a person who is scared of dogs or is looking at her mean, she will go on lunge mod, causing some embarrassing moments.. Also she is very dog friendly , but once a dog bark growls or has a bad vibe she will lunge and be reactive. If a dog is well behaved, she will ignore and go about her business.
FYI we have gone to many training classes, just finished treiball and obedience 2, will commece soon. Btw it's the 2 obedience 2 class we have done.
Hope you Guys can give me some advice, I think it may be her fearful period

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would put use what Sasha has learned in her obedience classes to help her cope with her anxiety and learn to focus on me. The goal is to give her confidence by teaching her that I am in charge of who we meet. She doesn't have to be anxious . I would have her on heel when walking out of the apartment and and around the neighborhood. When I see someone coming, I would curve suddenly and turn - I would reward Sasha for following. I would then practice a sit/stay when people are coming but I would again stand between the person and her - I would have her focused on the treat instead of on the other person.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea. We usually don't even walk because her attitude has been so embarrassing. I usually take her straight to the car.
So we could have some off leash fun.
Is this a teenage fear thing, with work can it be corrected?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Yes, I think it is a fear/aggression issue and with practice you can change it. You are smart to work on it right away or her behavior will only get worse. I would work with her on leash and only let her off leash in a safe area. Walking on the leash will actually help her to relax and to rely on your leadership. I got the impression from what you described that she is taking over the leadership role - she is striding out ahead on the leash and being in charge. So she gets protective and anxious when she meets someone. She needs to learn that you are in charge and she can relax and focus on you - she will get rewarded for that with treats and your praise. So when you next leave the apartment, I suggest you put her on her leash - have her sit before you open the door - then have her on heel - have her sit again while you lock the door - then go down the hallway - having a treat in your hand will help - when you see someone turn fast and slip her the treat - with practice when she sees someone she look up to you for a treat or watch if you should change direction and not try to lunge at the other person.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I feel like she feeds off of fearful people and she gets a rise out of it. Which makes it worse for me. But I never thought of avoiding. I will try this ASAP. Since she is trying to dominate me, she no longer sleeps with me and is in the crate every night

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I am not a fan of my dog sleeping on my bed, but I think that it is important to have the dog in my bedroom but on the floor. My Sting did sleep in his crate until he was a year-old because I had a cat and didn't want kitty be chased. After that he sleeps on his dog bed which is in my bedroom. The Monks of New Skete in their book "How to be Your Dog's Best Friend" have a section on this. You may also find their book helpful. I don't think your dog is trying to dominate you, that is a whole different action - she would be charging at you, growling at you when you picked up her toy or her food dish and so on. What I think she is doing, is that since she is not under control (walking by your side - having to focus on you and so on) she taking advantage and acting out. It took me a long time to figure out that when my Sting is on a walk he is on a hunting trip. So your dog is looking for something to hunt. So she lunges. She does have a good drive and it is important to channel that. A good game of fetch/tug where she ends up winning will not only give her an outlet for that prey drive but also will encourage her to respect you and bond with you because she will associate you with fulfillilng her prey drive - and she has to end up winning to do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts