German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
This forum is really helpful. Last time the suggestions given really helped. Its good going with a few glitches so far. But a few problems still persist because we dont know the way forward.
We are facing some problems with our 7 month Rocky. He lunges on visitors, there arent many due to the pandemic, but still. A few days back he tried to bite and intimidate our male help. He was cleaning the lawn. Rocky streaked out of the mistakenly open door, and jumped on him multiple times. He (the help) turned away facing the wall, and raised his hands. I was saying no, but Rocky didnt stop. Rocky was trying to bite him. Rocky's trainer came then, he asked Rocky to stop and he stopped. Our help had some bruises on his back and 1 scratch on his hand. Rocky tries to lunge on our maid too. But has never tried to bite her. His behaviour towards her has improved in the past two months since she started coming again.
We described this incident to a dog lover friend of ours. According to him, this was protective behaviour, and Rocky doesnt have confidence in me that I could/would handle the situation. He is protective towards me. Sometimes he doesnt like our children come and hug me.
How do I establish his confidence in me? I do all the rituals - play, exercise, groom, bath and food. My voice is not assertive and I will have to work on it.
The information I have provided is scanty, I know. But I wish to know how to differentiate between the signs of aggression, fear aggression and protection instincts. Is there any literature available which would help me to identify signs? Or a few links in the forum?
Thank You.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
You said Rocky's trainer came then, he asked Rocky to stop and he stopped. The dog doesnt see you as his trainer or someone to listen to. YOU should be training the dog WITH the trainer. He is 7 months old and this will only get worse if you dont get a grasp on it now. Muzzle train him (teach him to accept a muzzle), until you get this under control. There is a facebook group, cooperative care training for.....( I cant remember the entire name right now, I am not able to look it up). There are ways of getting him out, without having contact with others. Also another facebook group, pandemic puppy raising support group. Both groups have certified trainers on them, lots of resources, check out their units.

·
Registered
358 Posts
My dog is nearly two and has never exhibited so-called "protective" behavior. But he has been very extensively socialized to people, dogs, different places, and also trained regularly.

Assuming you don't want your dog to jump on random non-threatening people, you and your trainer should probably be socializing and specifically training your dog to accept such people.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Hello all.
This forum is really helpful. Last time the suggestions given really helped. Its good going with a few glitches so far. But a few problems still persist because we dont know the way forward.
We are facing some problems with our 7 month Rocky. He lunges on visitors, there arent many due to the pandemic, but still. A few days back he tried to bite and intimidate our male help. He was cleaning the lawn. Rocky streaked out of the mistakenly open door, and jumped on him multiple times. He (the help) turned away facing the wall, and raised his hands. I was saying no, but Rocky didnt stop. Rocky was trying to bite him. Rocky's trainer came then, he asked Rocky to stop and he stopped. Our help had some bruises on his back and 1 scratch on his hand. Rocky tries to lunge on our maid too. But has never tried to bite her. His behaviour towards her has improved in the past two months since she started coming again.
We described this incident to a dog lover friend of ours. According to him, this was protective behaviour, and Rocky doesnt have confidence in me that I could/would handle the situation. He is protective towards me. Sometimes he doesnt like our children come and hug me.
How do I establish his confidence in me? I do all the rituals - play, exercise, groom, bath and food. My voice is not assertive and I will have to work on it.
The information I have provided is scanty, I know. But I wish to know how to differentiate between the signs of aggression, fear aggression and protection instincts. Is there any literature available which would help me to identify signs? Or a few links in the forum?
Thank You.
As others mentioned, this behavior will only get worse unless you address it head-on, and immediately whenever it happens! He's not being protective, he's taking charge of a situation because he feels - for whatever reason - he has to.

Without seeing it happen firsthand it's hard to say. But in many cases it's just a lack of structure and obedience training for the dog.

You need a good, balanced, breed experienced trainer to help show you how to address this problem! And do it now, while he's still young...it'll save you money and lots of head and heartache in the future. Not to mention lawsuits and doctor bills!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts