German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diesel has been acting differently for a couple of months now. When he was growing up he was always around other dogs. My roommate had 2 husky's he played with along with all of my neighbors dogs. He never showed this kind of behavior until I moved back home. He has never acted aggressive before, bit a dog or person, or even showed teeth. He's about a year and 3 month old now. When I take him outside now and if he sees another person he will start to bark and his fur will stand up. He never growls, just has a deep bark. Whenever he sees another dog now, he will do the same thing and try to go towards them. I really don't think he means to be aggressive, I think he's just protective. About 5 months ago he stayed with my friend who had 2 other dogs and after about 3 mins of meeting the other dog all he wanted to do was play. I just need some opinions on this or if anybody has any advice that would be awesome :] thank you!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
What is different about home now then before? Is there less contact with humans and dogs? You being back home - I assume with parents/family - is there a change in your attitude, how you handle him? Is there confusion for Diesel on who he should look to?

This isn't being protective. With a change in homes, maybe rules etc, I would lean more to anxiety or fearfulness. If you aren't involved in a training class, I would say find one, up his training. Also look at LAT. Find his bubble, work outside of that, he reacts move back; no reaction - treat and repeat. You should be able to slowly work closer.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I agree with Twyla. There is something different in the new home that is triggering his behavior. It may also be another dog or person in the neighorhood or even different sounds. I also suggest you walk him around the neighborhood on a regular basis so he can get adjusted to his new surroundings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I went to school in West Virginia where you could say he had more freedom when he would go outside. He never went out on a leash there because there wasn't any cars driving past. I moved back into the city where he didn't have as much freedom to run around when he goes outside because there's more cars. And he doesn't see the dogs he used to be with all the time so that probably factors into it as well. I take him to the dog park and let him go without his leash and he's very good but most of the time he doesn't see many other dogs because its a rather private area and a huge open field. But thank you for your suggestions! I'm definitely gonna look into training for this. I don't want people to think he's an aggressive dog because he's really not. Once he gets use to somebody he loves them. It's just when he sees them he barks like he is and his fur stands. Like I said he has never bit anybody or another dog but I'm trying to prevent this from happening in the future and trying to calm him down when he sees strangers.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
That explains it - country dog to city dog - huge adjustment. He is excited about everything new dogs and people, so barks. You may want to look into classes - so he can get used having to behave around other dogs and it isn't just play time. He may even make some friends there that he can meet up with at the dog park - a play date. Also socialization walks - take him on his leash to a park - sit on a bench - he can watch people. When he barks - put your hand gently on the top of his nose and say quiet - give him a treat when he is - also have him go on the down/stay - sit a bit then walk - when he sees people - before he can get upset - turn suddenly reward him for following - the purpose is to have him concentrate on you and not worry about the strangers - as he sees you can handle them - he will become more relaxed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts