German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help. I have always had GS, but our new puppy is now 3 1/2 months old. I am not sure how to respond to this. When I try to get her to stop her nipping she comes back at me and bites even more, I can't seem to settle her down. So to get her to calm down I put her in her crate, which she does not seem to mind and after about 10 minutes or so I let her out and she seems to be calmer, until she gets going again and the nipping and biting just seems to get worse.
She came from a home where there were kids that played with her, and it sounded like all the pups pretty much had the run of the living room. We got her when she was 8 weeks old. Is this just puppy stuff or could this lead into a bigger problem. She has broken the skin on my husbands hands more than once.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when my pup nipped i made him stop. i use to pull him
back and say "no biting". after you repeat whatever method
you're going to use 3,000 times to make them stop nipping
they'll stop. it's like a nipping warranty. try something 3,000
times or wait 6 months, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh I used to think that faze would never end! Don't worry, puppy biting is normal. Just have a toy handy and always redirect your pup onto the toy. Like DoggieDad said, they get it....eventually.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Oh I used to think that faze would never end! Don't worry, puppy biting is normal. Just have a toy handy and always redirect your pup onto the toy. Like DoggieDad said, they get it....eventually.
Even my older dog is using this method, he picks up some toy, gets closer to puppy mouth, makes him bite it, and then runs with it.:)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Now you know why they are called Land Sharks.

Keep chew toys on you and in every room. Every time your pup goes to nip, stuff the toy in her mouth. For most it does slow down and eventually stop, just takes patience on your part.... and fast reflexes reaching for the toy ;)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
This is not aggressive behavior, she just wants to play. When she starts biting you, tell her "no" with a stern voice, then put a toy in her mouth and tell her "good".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts