German Shepherds Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,458 Posts
That would be something to see:LOL:

No, believe it or not this was a dog that obviously had not been told no as a puppy. Therefore he thought it was ok to bite but they were no longer puppy bites. If it was a Mal, I think I would be typing this with one hand.

They actually used to have Mals and Shepherds there and trained for the security sector but no longer do.
Oh thank goodness.

Do you see a way forward? Something we can help with?

·
Super Moderator
4,458 Posts
I've been bitten many times working at a kennels, but they were dual purpose green dogs and I was compensated appropriately. It was part of the job and expected going in.

All medical was covered 100%

Reactions: Damicodric

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Oh thank goodness.

Do you see a way forward? Something we can help with?
Thanks but I don't see a way forward with them, the answers received support my view and those of my colleagues that this dog is showing aggression and not a dog that is excitable. I just wish that management would step up and intervene and do some one on one training with this dog and admit that he is a ticking time bomb before he crosses the line.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
The owner is an idiot in that you don’t not manage a potentially dangerous dog, but he/ she doesn’t have to directly deal with the dog. I would ask for a substantial raise or seek other employment. That attitude is pure negligence.
We have been asking for a pay rise for 4 years but they tell us we are earning a decent amount (we are not), the handlers earn £10,000 -£40,000 more than us per year but do not have to deal with what we have to. I'm checking the job section each day but rarely receive a reply.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I know you mentioned that you're not allowed to use treats, balls, or toys with the dogs, but what about one of those stuffed canvas training dummies on a rope? If he's still amped up, something that he'd grip onto and allow you to lead him to his kennel?
No, we are not to use any item that the dog would see as a game because that is how the handlers train them and they don't want kennel staff to bond with the dogs in case it affects their work.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Gwyllgi, are you a member of a union?
Yes but the company do not have an in house union. In my original contract we were made to sign a disclaimer that we would not join a union but I still joined one because here it is illegal to prevent someone joining a union.

I have since left that union because 6 members of staff were forced out of their positions and went to the union but the union, although initially got involved, the company legal team stepped in and the union refused to help, later denying that they had heard of the company.

I am in a new union but have to be a member for at least 2 months before they can help.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Great thought.

I’m guessing not, but there’s gotta be protections here for the employees.

This whole situation is so disturbing on literally ten different levels.

Gwylligi. You do what’s good for you, but man, this is almost untenable.

Best of luck to you!
Thank you.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts