German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is this a facility where the dog isn’t allowed to live with his handler? Honestly it’s sounds like you guys are getting punked as David would say. What is this dog trained for?
All dogs live at the kennels, unless out on an overnight search. This dog's discipline is tobacco and money.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
This company is at huge risk for several lawsuits. Knowingly allowing employees to work in a dangerous environment, after several instances of injury, is more than enough to cost them dearly.

This is just all wrong.

Keeping a single purpose dog that bites people is just lazy. $2000 for a green dog plus a few weeks training and you're done. One single trip to the emergency room, unless employees keep lying for the company, costs far more than replacing the dog.

·
Registered
854 Posts
All dogs live at the kennels, unless out on an overnight search. This dog's discipline is tobacco and money.
As I said before, the dog knows he can push you guys around to get what he wants, and is doing so. I don’t see any reason to let this dog behave like this

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Back to the original question, the dog is having fun. It's excitement and aggression. It's easy to fix, but you have to correct the dog.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Please, do not think that I would use aggressive methods to deal with any of my dogs, I was merely trying to say that I would not tolerate that sort of behavior but if my life was in danger by any dog about to tear a chunk out of my face, then hopefully, I would be within my rights to defend myself from being mauled.

This dog has bitten every kennel worker here, this was not a one off incident. He has a Jekyll and Hyde persona, he can be loving and want a fuss and without warning he can turn on a hairpin, there is no warning or signs.
Just a question. I understand that workers are afraid of being bitten (again) but how is the dog permitted to "run into the compound" unleashed or unmuzzled? And after the first bite, why are the owners allowed to bring the dog there without stipulations?

EDIT: ah now I see having read the rest of the thread. Getting zero support from the handler or kennel owners? I'd quit this significant-injury-waiting-to-happen in a heartbeat and wait for the lawyers for the person who is about to be seriously injured to call you to corroborate the working conditions in the lawsuit.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Just a question. I understand that workers are afraid of being bitten (again) but how is the dog permitted to "run into the compound" unleashed or unmuzzled? And after the first bite, why are the owners allowed to bring the dog there without stipulations?
This is a working dog kennels. It doesn't excuse the behavior but it puts things into perspective.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
gotta read the thread.
dog lives there.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
A side note for those following along.

The kennels I have been around, mostly military and also 2 large civilian kennels (one with 500 dogs), operated much differently. The kennel hands never took dogs out of kennels unless they were very experienced. There were no exercise areas. Handlers and trainers exercised dogs. If there was a problem like this, a trainer would get involved.

Fama was kennel aggressive. The kennel hands used to retrieve her food bowl with a broom. However, if she came out of the kennel after him, he was more than authorized to correct her and defend himself.

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well that changes things.

Do the handlers rotate?

And that's 68 finds a day, every day, for 4 years.
Not often.

Not sure of the true quota of finds in figures but I have been told its very high and he is one of the best in the UK. When, I was told of that figure by the supervisor, I didn't try and work it out.

I do know that a few months ago, he found around £2000 worth of illegal cigarettes hidden in a false wall in a warehouse, so he is good at what he does.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Not often.

Not sure of the true quota of finds in figures but I have been told its very high and he is one of the best in the UK. When, I was told of that figure by the supervisor, I didn't try and work it out.

I do know that a few months ago, he found around £2000 worth of illegal cigarettes hidden in a false wall in a warehouse, so he is good at what he does.
I have no doubt. He can be good at what he does without injuring people. This is a single purpose dog. No need to worry about shutting down his drive to fight. Black and white. You do not bite people.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
This company is at huge risk for several lawsuits. Knowingly allowing employees to work in a dangerous environment, after several instances of injury, is more than enough to cost them dearly.

This is just all wrong.

Keeping a single purpose dog that bites people is just lazy. $2000 for a green dog plus a few weeks training and you're done. One single trip to the emergency room, unless employees keep lying for the company, costs far more than replacing the dog.
I agree, it is wrong.

We have complained numerous times about this dogs behaviour and we are told it must be our fault. The company have a huge legal team on the pay roll.

There was a dog there a few years ago that had Cocker rage (don't know if you are familiar with the term over there), it bit us all, nothing got done, when it failed its trial it was rehomed. It bit new owners, they brought it back. The head trainer decided to do some training with it, it bit him and only then was it taken to be put to sleep.

Management refused to act on the words of 8 kennel members.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
I agree, it is wrong.

We have complained numerous times about this dogs behaviour and we are told it must be our fault. The company have a huge legal team on the pay roll.

There was a dog there a few years ago that had Cocker rage (don't know if you are familiar with the term over there), it bit us all, nothing got done, when it failed its trial it was rehomed. It bit new owners, they brought it back. The head trainer decided to do some training with it, it bit him and only then was it taken to be put to sleep.

Management refused to act on the words of 8 kennel members.
Seriously, this doesn’t sound good. Always try to make sure there is someone else around when handling this dog. Be prepared for a worst case scenario.

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Back to the original question, the dog is having fun. It's excitement and aggression. It's easy to fix, but you have to correct the dog.
unfortunately, we are not permitted to correct the dogs. One worker received a written warning because she tried to get a dog that was pulling, to heel.

On my first week, a dog latched on to my arm hard and was pulling me down to the ground. I pushed the dog away but he came and latched on harder, luckily I was wearing two jumpers and a thick coat or he would have punctured my arm.

I got the dog to calm down and leashed him and led him to his kennel. An hour later the company welfare officer came to see me and said that two visiting managers from their overseas office witnessed me pushing the dogs away.

I was told they are force free only here and do not believe in correcting bad behaviour. I asked if the managers were trainers and she said they are, so I asked, why did they not come and assist when they saw the dog attacking me? her response was because its not their job. I asked, what should I do in a similar situation? I was told to have a bag of treats and when the dog stops attacking, I give a treat but withhold if he attacks again. That was the first time that I had heard of positive only training.

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Are they using Mals from Holland in a force free kennels?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Are they using Mals from Holland in a force free kennels?
That would be something to see:LOL:

No, believe it or not this was a dog that obviously had not been told no as a puppy. Therefore he thought it was ok to bite but they were no longer puppy bites. If it was a Mal, I think I would be typing this with one hand.

They actually used to have Mals and Shepherds there and trained for the security sector but no longer do.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I know you mentioned that you're not allowed to use treats, balls, or toys with the dogs, but what about one of those stuffed canvas training dummies on a rope? If he's still amped up, something that he'd grip onto and allow you to lead him to his kennel?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Gwyllgi, are you a member of a union?
Great thought.

I’m guessing not, but there’s gotta be protections here for the employees.

This whole situation is so disturbing on literally ten different levels.

Gwylligi. You do what’s good for you, but man, this is almost untenable.

Best of luck to you!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts