German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not GSD but dog related.

I work in kennels and today, as I arrived at work, some of the dogs were being led to their compound on leashes, except one dog, that many fear because he has bitten a few kennel workers, myself included. Most just let him run into the compound.

This dog refused point blank to go in and began to lay down, when I approached, he growled, so I told the my colleague to go inside and I will deal with him. I tried to get him to follow me and he was doing a playful waggle with his body but when I got too close he bared his teeth and growled. I tried to give him room so that he didn't feel trapped and allow him to exit past me if he wanted.

He finally sat down outside the office door, so I stood next to him and tried to put a slip lead over his head but he turned around and stood up and wrapped his front legs around my waist, ears back , bared his front canines, growled and was salivating right in front of my face.

my supervisor arrived and tried to call him but he then lunged for her.

She phoned for one of the dog handlers to come and assist and when they arrived, the dog acted as though butter wouldn't melt. They say that he was probably excited and nothing more.

I will say this, if any of my own dogs displayed those signs to me, they would get my knee in their chest and if it continued, then it would be a one way trip to the vets.

Unfortunately, where I work, they train all the dogs using purely positive methods and do not believe in corrections. To do so, would mean you'd lose your job.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Could depend on the breed. Excitement aggression as it relates to some other breeds is more common and different than some people think and can be quite dangerous.

Regardless, if your dog presented to you like that, IMO, a knee to the chest would not be the route I would choose.

Reactions: Bearshandler

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
personally i’d feel uncomfortable as an employee there, but more so i’d also feel uncomfortable as this dogs owner - leaving him at a facility where the staff are afraid? hesitant? or ill equipped? to manage him (i’m asking).

with the perimeters you’re working with, at the very least i’d have a dragline on this dog at all times.

out of curiosity.. is he new? a regular? boarding facility? is the owner aware of his shenanigans?

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Catch pole

It's hard to say what exactly was going on without seeing the dog.

Is this a daycare? Boarding facility? Training facility?

Do you have the opportunity/desire to train this dog so this behavior stops?

Reactions: Thecowboysgirl

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
personally i’d feel uncomfortable as an employee there, but more so i’d also feel uncomfortable as this dogs owner - leaving him at a facility where the staff are afraid? hesitant? or ill equipped? to manage him (i’m asking).

with the perimeters you’re working with, at the very least i’d have a dragline on this dog at all times.

out of curiosity.. is he new? a regular? boarding facility? is the owner aware of his shenanigans?
Please, do not think that I would use aggressive methods to deal with any of my dogs, I was merely trying to say that I would not tolerate that sort of behavior but if my life was in danger by any dog about to tear a chunk out of my face, then hopefully, I would be within my rights to defend myself from being mauled.

This dog has bitten every kennel worker here, this was not a one off incident. He has a Jekyll and Hyde persona, he can be loving and want a fuss and without warning he can turn on a hairpin, there is no warning or signs.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

He, has been with us for over 4 years and all dogs are permanent residents that live there 24 hours a day. The company that I work for own every single dog there.

This is not a boarding facility but a professional working dog kennel.

The management are aware but refuse to deal with the issue because the dog has clocked over 100,000 finds of illegal contraband to date.

·
Super Moderator
3,854 Posts
Well that changes things.

Do the handlers rotate?

And that's 68 finds a day, every day, for 4 years.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Put the slip lead on when he is lead out of the kennel attached to a long line and when it is time for him to kennel, string him up if he shows aggression keeping your arm extended out so he can’t bite you. He is being reinforced for his displays of aggression.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Catch pole

It's hard to say what exactly was going on without seeing the dog.

Is this a daycare? Boarding facility? Training facility?

Do you have the opportunity/desire to train this dog so this behavior stops?
We have a catch pole but not allowed to use them, as it could cause stress to the dogs, I was warned that I would face disciplinary procedures if I was caught using them.

This is a professional dog detection kennels.

We are not permitted to train any of the dogs, our job is to clean the kennels, feed the dogs, administer medication and walk the dogs, we are not even allowed to fuss the dogs or play with them because that is left to the handlers as it could interfere with their work.

All dogs are kept in groups of 2 - 6 and when fights break out we have to deal with them, the handlers will not assist and when they come later the dogs act different and we are then given a lecture on how we should have handled the situation.

The last serious fight that I had to singly separate 3 dogs had left me with a 2 inch laceration on my hand and I do not have 100% feeling in the hand.

The handlers only have to deal with 2 or 3 dogs at a time, we have to deal with over 40 dogs, they act different with the handlers because they are allowed to bond with them and play games with them, we are not.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Do you have an opportunity to talk with his regular handler to explain what's happening in the kennels and maybe gain some tips of what works best as calming tools for this particular dog?

·
Super Moderator
7,915 Posts
boy do details matter.
and here i was picturing an ornery doodle at doggie daycare.

edit: yes, what catrinka said. i also work at a facility where there are trainer/handlers and dedicated kennel techs... although we don’t typically deal with issues such as yours, any concerns, special handling advice or protocols are always taken up individually with the staff assigned to the dog.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Is this a facility where the dog isn’t allowed to live with his handler? Honestly it’s sounds like you guys are getting punked as David would say. What is this dog trained for?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put the slip lead on when he is lead out of the kennel attached to a long line and when it is time for him to kennel, string him up if he shows aggression keeping your arm extended out so he can’t bite you. He is being reinforced for his displays of aggression.
The place has CCTV all over the place and we would lose our jobs if we did that. Due to his aggression, those on the early shift will just open his kennel to let him run to the field. All dogs are left to run to the field but have to be put on a lead to be led in to their compound. However, those who are fearful of him will not place a slip lead on him and just let him run to his compound. I always put a lead on him because I know he will act up but any sudden movement and he will bite.

When he retires, he will never be re homed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you have an opportunity to talk with his regular handler to explain what's happening in the kennels and maybe gain some tips of what works best as calming tools for this particular dog?
We have spoken with his regular handler but he says that he is ok with him and doesn't understand the fuss. The handlers can use balls or squeaky toys or food rewards but we are not allowed to.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
boy do details matter.
and here i was picturing an ornery doodle at doggie daycare.

edit: yes, what catrinka said. i also work at a facility where there are trainer/handlers and dedicated kennel techs... although we don’t typically deal with issues such as yours, any concerns, special handling advice or protocols are always taken up individually with the staff assigned to the dog.
Sorry, the purpose of the thread was really to see if you though the dog was being aggressive or as management believe, merely a dog being over excited.

however, as people have asked for more details, then I gave them.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts