German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try and keep a long story short..I have an amazing GSD 2 year old spayed Female and a 10 year old in spayed Shih Tzu. this was my first shepherd and I knew I needed professional help from the beginning to understand the breed, she was wild and everyone in my family had the same holey design in their clothes from teething. The training went well she is very intelligent but my husband, against everyones advice kept protecting his Shih Tzu which did not allow the little one to position herself over the shepherd while she was a pup. After many months of socializing and working with the 2, I was able to have Harmony but only if husband not around. My shepherd can be around lots of different dogs and is excellent with puppies. The TZU will go after GSD when too close to husband. He finally understood how to correct but a little late. I now have a 4 month male GSD and when the Tzu goes at him my 2 year old goes after the TZu. I know she loves her, the GSD gives her bones to her before she touches them and tries to get close to her but is protective over the pup. the GSD pinnned down the Tzu when only husband was home and he did not react in a calm manner when she wouldn’t let her go, she wound up with a 3/inch deep puncture into her shoulder vet put in a drain and said depends on how it heals How she will be. I wasn’t there am I correct to believe this most likely was a correction gone bad? How do I get them back together after this? please be kind, I accept responsibility of all my decisions and do as much education as possible.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
With all the dogs I've owned or been around, corrections do not leave scars. If your GSD left picture wounds, it wasn't a correction, it was more of an attack. I'd keep the little one out of harm's way why your pup is growing up. You can always reevaluate later on when he's over the boisterous playing stage. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I don’t let my dogs give corrections to each other. I don’t allow aggression between them. If someone is out of line, I step in. I will give the correction. A growl for invading someone else’s space may slide, but that’s about it. I make the rules for what’s allowed and not allowed. I don’t believe the dogs need to establish some hierarchy. It works both ways. Neither dog should be allowed to go after the other. Doing so is setting yourself up for failure. The small dig resource guarding the husband needs to be stopped immediately. I don’t think you should have gotten another dig with the problems you already had, but it is what it is now.

·
Registered
32,563 Posts
You should also start some behavior modification with the small dog. Teach him that when other dogs come around, good things happen. And teach him obedience. It's not really fair to just correct him for behavior he's been allowed to do without teaching an incompatible behavior.

I would do something like teach a down. Put the small dog in a down, bring puppy to a distance that the small dog will not react, reward small dog for maintaining down and not reacting. Bring puppy a little closer, reward small dog for maintaining down and not reacting. Work that closer and closer. And remember that what you will be correcting is the dog breaking the down. (***Note - do not allow the puppy to be out of control when doing this. This will make small dog react and that's not fair to small dog. So maybe start with the adult, trained, Shepherd).

Behavior modification, obedience and correction go hand in hand. I don't care if my dog doesn't like other dogs. I only care that they have the obedience and understanding to know that they WILL tolerate the other creatures right to breathe.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hot take:
I have never in my life seen a well trained (not well behaved) Shih Tzu.
How well trained is your husband's dog at obeying commands (not tricks)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts