German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a two year old german shepherd/golden retriever/lab mix that has been such a great dog. In the last six months I've noticed that she has gotten aggressive mainly towards men. I took her to the vet and she was very apprehensive being there and wouldn't let the male vet come close to her for ten minutes. The other night I found out she bit the UPS driver. She hasn't been beat and we got her when she was a pup. I want to help her out and figure out what's triggering her before we have to make some big decisions.. has anyone dealt with this or have any pointers? We have four other dogs she does great with but she refuses to let other dogs near.

·
Registered
956 Posts
This is a fear/insecurity/temperament issue. Why did you let her show aggression toward the vet for ten minutes? Letting her show aggression is just reinforcing it. What is her obedience? If she shows aggression, correct her with a prong and make her sit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't let her show aggression that long, I was actively trying to get her to calm down, she's always been a sweet dog so very out of characteristic for her. I don't let her show aggression I definitely try to shut it down right away. I didn't know if anyone had experienced this and what they did to correct it.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Wait, so this dog has actually bitten someone? Definitely time for a trainer to come in and to get her muzzle trained. When she was at the vet, were they eventually able to do a full exam and run lab work? I would want to rule out any medical problems first. If she needs to be sedated, fine. She needs to get a good look over and labs from a vet.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree with find a balanced trainer--one who knows and has had success with this breed and educating owners....IMO this is way past any ones on-line advice on "how" to fix it.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wait, so this dog has actually bitten someone? Definitely time for a trainer to come in and to get her muzzle trained. When she was at the vet, were they eventually able to do a full exam and run lab work? I would want to rule out any medical problems first. If she needs to be sedated, fine. She needs to get a good look over and labs from a vet.
Yeah she was fine after the vet was able to pet her. I just want to help her. she's not a bad dog.
Think finding a trainer will be the best option.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Two years of age is when the adult, genetic temperament begins to emerge. Like others have said, get a trainer onboard that is familiar with the breed.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Agreed with the others. If you can tell your location I'm sure some of us here can recommend a reliable trainer.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have found a good trainer who teaches reactive classes in my area for my reactive dog. They are very helpful. The classes are one on one with an instructor with two classes per week.

After a month of work, today he waited calmly, with tail wagging, while I stood in line at the local farm and fleet to pay for his bag of kibble.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Be prepared, the exercises your train recommends might seem insane.... but they can be beneficial to both you and your dog. I have absolutely no regrets investing the time over the last several weeks to have a dog who is well on his way to being happy, obedient, and well adjusted.

He might never cut it in the professional dog world. But he can sit quietly while little kid get off the school bus and then walk safely by them.... and that is really what I needed most from a pet dog living in my area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts