German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found their male (unaltered or other wise) GSD become more aggressive / possessive as they aged?

I was told that because Hondo has an aloof personality, he stands a higher chance of becoming aggressive as he ages.

I can understand him taking protection more seriously. Like if a stranger comes to the house, but I just can't see him becoming a demon dog.

·
Registered
32,014 Posts
Well...that sounds like a bunch of hooey

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It is true that once a dog is 2-3 they may become more 'serious'.

Some may experience the beginnings of Same Sex Aggression, although I think SA shows earlier than 2. Basically your puppy grows up into a man. I would give this no concern, as it is true for all breeds.

If you have the dogs pedigree, you can contact the breeder and ask what is 'normal' for the lines. If you are still feeling anxious, you can be proactive. Socializing is good for any dog at any age :)

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I had Max at the groomers a month ago, and she brought him out wet, I asked her why he was wet, she said he would not let her use the blower on him, hes been to this groomer many times in the last 5 years, so I took him back in to see for myself, sure enough he was snapping at her with the blower, so i grabbed it and told her to stop, and he started to snap at me also, I corrected him for it and used the blow dryer a little more and then stopped

my guess is the GSD is somewhat like people, there are things we tolerate when we are young and as we get old we dont tolerate them anymore, other than the blow dryer thing, there has been no change in his behavior

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I have had 5 males over the years, and never saw them become more aggressive or more possessive as they aged. Couple neutered early, couple neutered late, didn't matter..

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I think Ken's right.

As Sania gets older, there's certain things she won't tolerate. She had never liked her feet being touched. She'd just pull her feet away when she was younger, but when we tried clipping her nails a few months ago, she growled at us. Needless to say, we left her alone. She also tolerates rough play a lot less, most likely because of her age. (She's about 13). So it's not just males. I think it just depends on the individual.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We do a great deal of socializing, but he has never been a waggly butt type of dog. If you want to pet him, he'll tolerate it, even as a puppy. Because of his attitude, I watch him closely while in public. While I can read him, he isn't an easy dog to read for others.

We were at my BF's house for Christmas. She has two female GSDs and a new GSD female puppy. All four were in the back yard playing and I stepped in for a moment leaving my BF in the back yard. She said that Hondo stopped, went to the door (I assume waiting for me) sat facing her and stared at her. He completely ignored the two playing females. My BF (who is a vet tech and has been for over 20 years) said that he gave her vibes that gave her chills. She stated that when I came back out, he totally changed and ran straight for the other dogs to continue to play. He knows her, we've been there before for play dates since he was a puppy.

I don't know - I don't see him becoming some sort of aggressive time bomb. But he would be content if the entire human population disappeared and it was just us left.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Around the 16-14 month mark, yes.

One of my boys was very social and accepting of strangers until this past summer. Now, no one will walk up to him. The change is marked.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I think they can become more confident as an adult which gives them more want to protect their owner/family versus puppy and not sure of the world still.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why couldn't they learn to be more domestic as they age? I'd like to come home from work and have all the laundry done, and the dish washer unloaded. I'd even tolerate it if Hondo came up to me and said, "Are those your jeans in the middle of the bedroom floor? Is that where they belong?"

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
HA!! Now your describing me.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
We do a great deal of socializing, but he has never been a waggly butt type of dog. If you want to pet him, he'll tolerate it, even as a puppy. Because of his attitude, I watch him closely while in public. While I can read him, he isn't an easy dog to read for others.

We were at my BF's house for Christmas. She has two female GSDs and a new GSD female puppy. All four were in the back yard playing and I stepped in for a moment leaving my BF in the back yard. She said that Hondo stopped, went to the door (I assume waiting for me) sat facing her and stared at her. He completely ignored the two playing females. My BF (who is a vet tech and has been for over 20 years) said that he gave her vibes that gave her chills. She stated that when I came back out, he totally changed and ran straight for the other dogs to continue to play. He knows her, we've been there before for play dates since he was a puppy.

I don't know - I don't see him becoming some sort of aggressive time bomb. But he would be content if the entire human population disappeared and it was just us left.
Your friend having 3 female GSD's together scares me more than your Hondo.

I would attempt 3 males together but never 3 females (from the stories I hear from others).

"She said that Hondo stopped, went to the door (I assume waiting for me) sat facing her and stared at her. He completely ignored the two playing females. My BF (who is a vet tech and has been for over 20 years) said that he gave her vibes that gave her chills. She stated that when I came back out, he totally changed and ran straight for the other dogs to continue to play"

This same thing happened to me when I was with my friends Akita. The Akita and Sinister were playing like crazy and then my friend went to go pick up pizza he left the Akita with me and I kid you not, that dog stopped playing with Sin immediately and she sat as still as a rock and stared at that fence until my friend came back. When he got back she started playing with Sinister again.

I think Hondo is extremely bonded to you and when he cant see you or hear you then he sits and waits for you to come back. He wont play until he knows where you are. If that makes sense?

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I would attempt 3 males together but never 3 females (from the stories I hear from others).

"She said that Hondo stopped, went to the door (I assume waiting for me) sat facing her and stared at her. He completely ignored the two playing females. My BF (who is a vet tech and has been for over 20 years) said that he gave her vibes that gave her chills. She stated that when I came back out, he totally changed and ran straight for the other dogs to continue to play"

This same thing happened to me when I was with my friends Akita. The Akita and Sinister were playing like crazy and then my friend went to go pick up pizza he left the Akita with me and I kid you not, that dog stopped playing with Sin immediately and she sat as still as a rock and stared at that fence until my friend came back. When he got back she started playing with Sinister again.

I think Hondo is extremely bonded to you and when he cant see you or hear you then he sits and waits for you to come back. He wont play until he knows where you are. If that makes sense?
Yeah, that sure does make sense to me. I also think because she has the 3 unique dogs, all with waggy butt personalities it is more difficult for her to read a dog that is more aloof. I think that if it were Hondo's intention to dominate her he certainly would have in a more aggressive manner. Even if it was just to seperate her from the females.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
Yeah, that sure does make sense to me. I also think because she has the 3 unique dogs, all with waggy butt personalities it is more difficult for her to read a dog that is more aloof. I think that if it were Hondo's intention to dominate her he certainly would have in a more aggressive manner. Even if it was just to seperate her from the females.
I would think that Hondo is also larger than her females and because he is not her dog she probably is a little nervous around him.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Why couldn't they learn to be more domestic as they age? I'd like to come home from work and have all the laundry done, and the dish washer unloaded. I'd even tolerate it if Hondo came up to me and said, "Are those your jeans in the middle of the bedroom floor? Is that where they belong?"
Ha !!! that's just funny right there now !!! :D

Let me know how that training works out for ya ... ;)

BTW: DJ will be turning 4 in February and I've noticed he's a bit more aggressive to other animals than usual ... ? Could be something, could be nothing ???

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We had a bunch of folks over on New Year's eve. None were expected, just folks stopping by...and stayed. I put Hondo in the back yard, as we were all sitting outside around a fire. Hondo was quiet as a mouse. Even with people walking up and down the drive (which normally drives him nuts). I kept the electric fence on so people wouldn't attempt to pet him - wasn't sure how he'd behave with all the strange folks, fire works and music. But he never made a peep. He just amazes me sometimes.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts

Victor does this with me as well. He has to see me. He will sit and wait for me. If I let him and Jamie out and go back in the house because I forgot something he will sit at the door and wait for me. Jamie doesn't she goes and does her business and then comes back. Victor won't budge until I come back. He does this at night before we go to bed also. He will wait at the door until I come outside with him before he will do his business.

I don't know if they become more possessive/aggressive with age because Victor has always been like that. He has also been aggressive with everyone except myself and my husband. He will be 2 next month. We got him when he was 13 mths. so I don't know what he was like as a puppy. He is definately bonded to me that is for sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts