German Shepherds Forum banner

age to spay

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Mei 
I can understand why shelters feel the way they do. There are many irresponsible people letting their intact dogs walk around unsupervised making puppies. They are the reason why spay and neutering is pushed. I remember growing up it was crazy - people moved out to the “country” and let loose there dogs. Dogs were mating in the middle of highways, stores ,bus stops, people’s yards. There was a line of dogs trying to get into out house to our female dog. One male dog followed me on the bus going to school. No owners cared about their dog. It resembled a third world country. After That was when spay and neuter were pushed despite the health risk -owners were not just there to care.

It is important that dogs finish growing and get their hormones before they are spayed and neutered. I plan to spay Luna around 4 years old. I believe in keeping male dogs intact. Max had a retained testicle so I decided to neutered him when he turned 2. Females can get pyometria they are very lucky to survive surgery if it is caught in time. Right now Luna is due to come into season. We have little pants so it is not messy. I have woods I take for her for walks in them or places where it is very quite. My first gsd was intact he started getting first signs of arthritis around 8 years old. He lived till 12 but we had to put him down because he can no longer walk or get up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.