German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a female german shepherd and will be taking my male
puppy home in may..i plan on getting my female spayed and my puppy
neutered i have no intention to breed them..

i was thinking on neutering my puppy at 8 months?
is that okay? i heard its okay to neuter younger then that
but i want his body to develop normally with hormones and
all that...what are your expierences??

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I went by what my vet recommended and I suggest you do the same. Sting was my first pup -he was neutered at about 5 1/2 months. My other dogs, who were adopted, the Husky was spayed at 2 years and she had had a litter, the Aussie neutered at 6 months. For the males, they developed normally and no one every mistook them for a female. I am for the earlier period, I think it is best when the dog is young and less possibility of complications - that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I prefer neutering them at 18 to 24 months.

There are a lot of threads in the HEALTH section about spaying/neutering ages ... check them out!!!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
There is a lot of disagreement on this subject. I find that a picture speaks louder than words. Here is Buddy #92 lbs and 11 years old. He was neutered between 5 and 6 months. He has the full male features and is not in any way shape or form girly or leggy. He is big and solid and looks very similar to his sire.

I have never let a female go into heat, I have yet to have one with incontinence problems or any other issues that I was told I would get from spaying or neutering young.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it is a personal decision. Our vet has highly recommended that we wait until 18 months. He said by then they have pretty much finished with the important growth hormones. He cited lots of new research showing a reduced rate of cancer by waiting. That said everyone's situation is different and I think you do what you feel is best for you and your dog.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
538 Posts
I can see some of the cancer research coming out now persuade me to wait in the future. Our Jake was neutered at 6 months old and we haven't seen any ill effects. He had severe digestive issues as a pup which caused him to be an underweight puppy. At 15 months old after being on home made dog food for 4 months he is 75 pounds and considered in ideal body condition ... He is lean and muscular due to all the running he does. His parents were 75 and 80 pounds so it looks like he's in line with his parents.

I'm not a believer in early neutering stunting there growth. Like I mentioned, the cancer research seems to have some merit.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts