German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theo will be 14 weeks on Saturday and I plan at some point to transition to raw in the evening while still feeding kibble in the morning. I am wondering at what age others transitioned and how they did it?
It’s been 8 years since I did this with my last pup and I forget
Theo may have a more sensitive tummy that my golden and Benny, my last GSD who seemed to have cast iron stomachs

·
Registered
166 Posts
Juno came on kibble and we did a straight swap starting with a morning meal so she had an empty tummy. I feed a commercial raw mix with eggs and oily fish. I'd like to move to DIY but not feeling quite brave enough at the moment!

We had no issues with the transition. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Juno came on kibble and we did a straight swap starting with a morning meal so she had an empty tummy. I feed a commercial raw mix with eggs and oily fish. I'd like to move to DIY but not feeling quite brave enough at the moment!

We had no issues with the transition. Good luck!
You guys are giving me the courage to try!

What type of commercial raw did you use?

·
Super Moderator
1,693 Posts
I started feeding raw when I got Boomer, a male GSD as a puppy. He was weaned on raw and I had been wanting to try. I had a 6 or 7 year old female GSD with terrible ear allergies. I was working in the pet industry and knew several Pet food manufacturing reps. I tried all different kibble diets, allergy testing and elimination diets. She was on prednisone for almost 5 years to keep the ear infections in check. The breeder I got Boomer from fed raw, and weaned the puppies on raw. I kept him on raw and immediately switched Annabelle to raw when I got Boomer. With in 2 months she was off the prednisone and her ear infections had almost completely gone away. I went from cleaning her ears every couple of days and hemitomas to cleaning every few months with no issues. The dog's life was greatly enhanced. I have fed every dog raw since '06.

I have even immediately switched my patrol dogs over to raw the day I get them. These are adult dogs, Boru was 3 1/2 when I got him, Buzz was 20 months and Boss was 18 months when I switched them to raw. All of these dogs had zero issues going straight to raw. I do understand that some adult dogs have a harder transition but I have not experienced that.

Reactions: Debbieg
1 - 10 of 10 Posts