German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I think height will stop around a year. Weight will always change depending on diet and exercise amounts. I think they "fill out" between 2-3 years, but thats just what ive read. This is my first GSD so i dont know from personal experience.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
When the sex hormones kick in and tell the growth plates to stop,
so 7-10 mos they'll be about as tall and long as they'll get, unless fixed before 6 mos old,
they may get a bit lankier. Weight wise they can
take another year to fill out before frame is well muscled. There's an
old wive's tale which states weight @ 16 weeks X 2 is about what you can expect adult to weigh.
Like any rule of thumb, mileage may vary, but it's approximate.
<span style="color: #3333FF">a growth chart</span>

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
My Boy Ike at 6 mon. old I thought he was going to be a small boy. Then he started to grow and grow and grow. Now at 10 months old I noticed he has grown some more. Ike is now 24in. tall and still growing. Its going to be very interesting to see if he keeps growing at this age.

Also my boy Drake did pretty much the same and looked to be very small until later on. At about 11 months he was still growing and at 14 months old before I took him to his new home he was up to 25in. tall.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Bella just got weighed yesterday at the vets she was 72 pounds, her height at the shoulders is about 26 1/1 inches, her DOB is 4/17/08, she looks skinny to me but vet says she is perfect. When she was 15 weeks she weighed 28 pounds. Bella is american lines.

Now Bo is 17 weeks, he was at vet yesterday too and he weighed in at 58 pounds, he was neutered. His height to shoulders are 21 inches. Bo is German East/west lines, stocky.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Jake is 14 months, he's still growing in height. He actually had a very significant growth spurt in the last 6 weeks. He's not really growing in length anymore. Has started to 'broaden' out.

I've heard they can grow in height till about 18 months.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
LOL Bear Dog huh? LOL

It's been real crazy and hot here, I've taken some picture though not real good ones. I'll post some here in a few.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Koch grinded to a halt at 7 months, she was putting on a good 2-4# a week depending on the week. Now it is more 1# a week it seems, some she gains a few, others she might lose one (or maybe it is just when we weigh her)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts