German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, here we go again with the diarrhea. We switched Jackie, who is 13 weeks old tomorrow, over to Exclusive large breed puppy food after she had major diarrhea issues with Pedigree. We gave her the plain yogurt and a scrambled egg before starting to move her over to the other food. She was doing very well. Still had the milkshake consistency sometimes, but did well. Then I decided to put meat tenderizer in her food (as well as the cats and other dogs) so she wouldn't eat the poop in the yard. I think I royally @*&*@!* myself doing that. Now we're back to the very, very runny diarrhea. I quit giving her the tenderizer about three days ago, but the diarrhea is still here and is bad! I must have been a moron to put that in her food, if that's what did it. Does anyone think we should try to "reset" her again with yogurt and egg? Or could it be something completely different and I should call the vet?:cry:

Thank you!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I feel your pain. I would go to the vet and have a fecal done to make sure shes parasite free. I would withhold all food for 18 hours and give her belly a break, then, I would start her on boiled rice and chicken small amounts at a time, once she tolerates that with formed poop I would add her kibble in to the boiled rice and chicken 1/4 cup at a time and as she does ok with that and has good poop you can decrease the boiled rice and chicken and increase the kibble until shes all on kibble. Stop the yogurt and get her probiotics. Some dogs cant handle lactose. I have been going through a poop nightmare for a month. Its MISERABLE>

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
I wouldn't do tenderizer on a young pup, especially when pup has digestive issues already...agree with the fecal, and maybe have a series of wormings every couple weeks for a few treatments + probiotics/digestive enzymes(the kind you supplement dry with) bland cooked chicken/ boiled rice for a few days first. Pick up the poop immediately so pup can't eat it.
That will help get him out of the habit.
I think a good diet will help the pup from eating it as well...rawfed dogs have very little poo and don't have a lack of nutrition, so don't feel the need to eat what they've digested. Nothing has been eliminated that is worthy of eating, it all got absorbed!
Baby pups cannot tolerate change easily.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I feel like a complete idiot for introducing the tenderizer. I should have known better. Been dealing with "human" teen issues, so my mind has been on that and I guess I didn't think this one through very well.

Jane, what kind of probiotics would you suggest? Can I get them at a pet supply store? I don't know anything about a raw diet, but maybe I'll try and look into that. I've seen a lot of people talking about it on here. Maybe I'll read more of those posts.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I suggest you give cooked rice and chicken and add some of the dry kibble. Her stomach needs to settle for 4 or 5 days. Offer her some Gatorade so he doesn't get dehydrated- Stosh only drank it when he needed it. Let things settle before you introduce anything, take it slowly!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I keep PetDophilus on hand. I ordered my off the internet, but recently saw it at a local store (don't remember which one, but I think it was a boutique store. Awesome product. :)

As far as resetting his digestive tract (???). Um the closest to that would be to fast him for 24 hours (So if you feed him dinner, skip breakfast and feed him next at dinner). When you feed him next you only feed double cooked rice (or oatmeal) and boiled chicken (or boiled turkey, or boiled hamburger, or baked fish). Over the next few days you slowly want to incorporate his new food into the rice mixture, slowly upping it each meal, while reducing the amount of chicken and rice each meal. By the end of 4-5 days he should be eating 100% new kibble.

Simply feeding an egg and yogurt doesn't reset his digestive tract. :)

I would suggest doing a proper "reset" and add in some probiotics to help his gut heal. :) Good luck!

one last thing: For dehydration, if he does seem to be having watery stool, I add a few tablespoons of low sodium chicken broth (or hommade broth from what I have boiled his chicken in) to his water bowl, this incourages him to drink up without adding unnecessary sugar to his diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts