German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I wasn't sure were to post this exactly so someone can move it if it needs to be.

I was just wondering. I have never used the same collar on different dogs. My dad never did either. When one dog passed on we would save the collar and get new ones for a new dog. I'm sure a lot of people do this. It seems like common knowledge to me. When my last dog Marshall passed away I still used the same leashes, choke chain that was used for training, and food bowls. Does anyone else reuse items? I am just curious. I actually wanted to buy all new items for when I got my dogs because I felt like those were Marshall's things. At that time though I was a little low on money and couldn't get all new things.

·
Super Moderator
32,585 Posts
I reuse puppy collars, but the adult collar gets retired when the dog is gone. I do reuse leashes, bowls, crates (and crate pads), and toys.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i always buy new stuff. if i couldn't afford new stuff
i would use what i had. the water bowl and the feed bowl
i'm usuing where used by my 2 Grey Hounds.

Okay, I wasn't sure were to post this exactly so someone can move it if it needs to be.

I was just wondering. I have never used the same collar on different dogs. My dad never did either. When one dog passed on we would save the collar and get new ones for a new dog. I'm sure a lot of people do this. It seems like common knowledge to me. When my last dog Marshall passed away I still used the same leashes, choke chain that was used for training, and food bowls. Does anyone else reuse items? I am just curious. I actually wanted to buy all new items for when I got my dogs because I felt like those were Marshall's things. At that time though I was a little low on money and couldn't get all new things.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Cash's collar with his tag is sitting on the shelf with his urn and ashes. He "personalized" his food bowl by chewing half of it off, and I haven't been able to bring myself to use that either. We are re-using his leash. The water bowl was Rocky's as well so of course we're still using that.

We also sold the car that he died in on the way to the vet's.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
I've never lost a dog (Zoey was our first and since I'm older, has become "my" dog. She's still going strong at 12.5 and recently got a perfect bill of health besides a low thyroid which is being controlled with meds. :thumbup:) but I can't imagine reusing collars, leashes or toys on a new dog. :( Crates and bowls I would though but I feel like collars/leashes/toys are "personal". I mean if you already have multiple dogs, continuing using toys wouldn't be a big deal unless one or two were "special" to the dog who passed. Then I'd probably put those couple away.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
I will reuse things. I move my dogs, they do not always have the same crate, the same kennel, the same food or water buckets. So I do not connect them to the dog.

The collars I use are expensive leather collars with deerskin lining. I only put them on the dog when we leave the premesis. They last pretty good. Since they are not on the dog 24/7, in fact, I think Whitney's was in the collar box from January to June one year, I do not feel the need to retire them when the dog is gone.

My vet sends me a nice cut glass plaque with my dog's name on it. I put a little GSD figurine in front of that on my decoration shelf. I do not save anything else except pictures and ribbons, and their books with all their papers and titles and certificates in them.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I don't use the collars, they are draped over their box that has their ashes in hit :( I do re use dog food bowls!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I've used the same little red rolled leather puppy collar for every pup I've had since 1987. I've also reused the next 'junior' age collar and I still use the same leather lead I've had for just as long. There are certain things like the last collar and tags that are too personal to reuse and are kept in a place of honor, but the other items I do- there's a sense of passing on from one great dog to another.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The Hooligans don't wear collars except for chain collars when they're on lead. I reuse all dog items ... leads, collars, bowls, toys, beds, etc.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I reuse leashes and training collars, but each of my dogs has their own personalized collar with their name on it. I had a custom made leather collar for Harley that still has her tags on it and hangs on her picture with her ashes. The personal collars obviously have much more meaning for me, and serve as more of a reminder of the dog when they pass, but any other collars I have I will use on other dogs.

And as far as crates, dishes, toys, etc. I do reuse those also.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Funny, I never reuse collars, either. I keep them as keepsakes. But I do reuse everything else -- beds, Nylabones, bowls, leashes, choke collars. I like to watch Layla chewing on Jasmine's old Nylabone.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Reuse collar since the collar is off most of the time. Reuse bowls.
Reuse leashes.
Destroy bedding, old toys.
Scrub out crate and reuse.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I will not reuse Sinisters collar or his toys, they would make me too sad. Because he means so much to me I would keep his ashes and collar out but box up his bowls and toys and keep them in storage. :(

Sad topic by the way.:(

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
My dogs all have personalized collars with their tags. I never reuse them. I won't even reuse personalized halters or the last halter worn for my horses that have passed. All other items are reused.

I have a chest that I keep that sort of things in. The horse halters have a lock of the horses mane taped to the halter as well. I suppose it's kinda morbid. I don't know what will become of that sort of stuff when I pass. I suppose it'll get tossed. I keep thinking one day I'll donate it all to a rescue. I guess I should put a note in the chest to make sure it happens.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I re-use items-I have their memories and sometimes I see them in my current dogs if that makes sense-and they each have their own scrapbook

·
Registered
572 Posts
LaRen616:

Yes, you are right, this is a sad topic, but it is an interesting question. To me, the dog's collar is like a relic when he or she passes. It is so special. The collar and the brush with her hair in it still, along with a lock of her hair, are safely put away. However, I do reuse the leashes and food bowls. When my princess passed, her bowl went into storage for the longest time, until I could deal with her passing better. It is a stainless steel bowl. When my sister asked me to take care of her female dog, the bowl came out because the dog is so sweet she reminds me of my princess.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I don't reuse the collars. I have those draped over a memorial I made for them. I also pick their fav. toys and do the same and place them by the memorials. I do reuse leashes, other toys(not the favs),food bowls, and some of the beds,blankets.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts