German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after many nights of research because i'm slowly losing my mind with all the constant scratching and chewing.... I'm pretty certain Riley has food allergies but primarily he's allergic to chicken. so far thats the ONLY thing even our vet can see he would be allergic to. Chicken is the common denominator. All of the symptoms he has such as constant scratching, paw chewing and licking, hair loss, dandruff/dry itchy skin he's had since we got him. He's only gotten worse. We know he's allergic to fleas but we're currently flea free. I'm going to switch him to a lamb based kibble when i get the chance. Shasta was itchy as well when she was on purina but the puppy food she's on now is lamb based with no chicken and she's not itchy or anything. Shelby is still on the purina and she's itchy. So i think i have a pack of dogs allergic to chicken. it would certainly explain Riley and all his aggravating issues that get him banned from the room and/or yelled at. guess i'll have to give it a shot and see. Payday will be here on halloween so i'll start there.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
If I remember correctly, all of Purina's products regardless of the line, contain at least one source of corn, wheat, soy and/or sorghum. All of which are cheap, allergy ingredients. Dyes can also cause allergies which several of their formulas contain. While chicken IS a common allergy trigger, I wouldn't point fingers at that first when you're feeding Purina brand food. Especially if it's their Dog/Puppy Chow formulas which don't even contain real chicken, just by-products. (beaks, feathers, feet, ect) What are you trying now?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes there is massive amounts of corn in purina but we dont feed purina anymore. Shelby is finishing off the purina which barely has a serving left. We're on 4health now for all of them. There is no corn or soy or anything in the 4health except the chicken and he's still itchy. HOWEVER, the puppy formula in 4Health is lamb based with no chicken and Shasta is no longer itchy except for loose fur i need to brush out. So i'm gonna try the switch the the lamb formula for Riley and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
KZ - A friend of mine switched to lamb and it greatly improved her dog's skin issues. Hope it works for you too.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mac's mom. Thats reassuring.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have had a few GSD with allergies to Chicken. London is one of them. I have him on Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Sweet Potato and Venison Dry Food, and I mix in the WELLNESS 99% pure Beef or Lamb.
One of my previous GSD did very well on Lamb, too.

Good luck experimenting with the foods! Hope you find something sooner than later.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all. Come friday i'm picking up a bag of the 4Health lamb and rice and switching him to that. The other two can eat the regular 4health we have. I'm just frustrated about it because the regular 4health is for large breed but the other stuff is not. Its okay though. Riley hasnt been on large breed anything until recently and he's always been healthy joint wise so i'm not too concerned about it. Shasta on the other hand i'm concerned about because i'm seriously not buying two seperate flavors of dog food for them! lol.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Food allergies

I have my GSD on Natural Balance L.I.D. (limited ingredients) Venison and Sweet potato and no longer itches. we found out that he was indeed allergic to chicken amongst a whole bunch of other stuff. Good luck :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone. We're on a budget so 4health is as much as i can spend without messing up our whole budget. Tractor Supply was out of the lamb and rice formula when i went so i'll have to wait until next week when the truck comes in. Which is fine. They wont starve and he's on allergy meds to help curb the itchy so its working well for now. Going to go check this afternoon and see if the truck came early. Here's to hoping. I'll check out a couple other suggestions you guys have mentioned though just in case. We may end up redoing the budget to accomodate buying a food solely for Riley and keeping Shasta on the 4health but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I put DJ on TOTW and his coat has improved so much. Before it was dull and rather stiff, now his coat shines and feels much softer to the touch. He's never had allergies that I know of but TOTW has made such a difference. I know the cost is something you have to consider having multiple animals, but in my mind it's worth the cost to see such an improvement. Good luck and I hope you find a remedy for your furry friend soon ! :)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put DJ on TOTW and his coat has improved so much. Before it was dull and rather stiff, now his coat shines and feels much softer to the touch. He's never had allergies that I know of but TOTW has made such a difference. I know the cost is something you have to consider having multiple animals, but in my mind it's worth the cost to see such an improvement. Good luck and I hope you find a remedy for your furry friend soon ! :)

i cant afford TOTW alone. i do, when i can, buy the smaller 5 lb bags and mix it in with the 4health though so they're getting some of the added benefits from it and they thoroughly love the combination.

more irratating news. Found fleas again so the exterminator is coming back out on thursday free of charge to spray again. Baths for everyone with fur twice a week until we get rid of the little monsters. Off to the vet to get some capstar to help. Luckily its because its getting colder out so the fleas are trying to come in where its warm which makes it easier to kill them.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Here's an ingredient list of the 3 kibbles mentioned here. For allergies I'd start with the California Natural,a lot less to rule out.

Natural Balance

Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Rice Bran, Canola Oil, Lamb, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

California Natural
Ingredients:
Lamb Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins/Minerals, Taurine, Rosemary Extract

4Health
Ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, cracked pearled barley, millet, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), beet pulp, natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, fish meal, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, Yucca schidigera extract, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

1 - 15 of 15 Posts