German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I travelled for a week and boarded Rex.

When I came to pick him up this morning, me and the facility owner decided to make a video of the greeting.

So I went into a field garden they have. Rex was brought out and when I called his name he went excited and started looking for me, then entered the field and ran towards me and I thought he would stop, jump on me etc.. Instead he ran past me, went sniffed, came back to me, I was on my knees, he gave me a couple of licks and then went on sniffing in the garden. I was hoping for a more excited focused greeting. I was very happy to see him and I thought he would be as excited.

When I come home, he always is very excited and shows more joy for me than after 7 days :( Can you please shed light on why this could be? Is this normal for GSDs?

I leashed him and we went to the car. He was all cool and happy to come along and in the car. We went home and he has been distant comparatively speaking. We played a a bit. He ate well etc.... But I can't figure out what is somewhat a level of disinterest.

We have a great bond and I am kind of deflated...

Thank you for your feedback....

Mozi

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It he is healthy and all it sounds like the cold shoulder it should pass.
Already improving, but trying to understand the cold shoulder part, especially in the greeting. I thought he will jump all over me and but just rant past me. He did come back for a some petting and couple of licks, but when I come to the house after 2 hours he was more excited than this! I may be sounding childish I know :) It is like I am bruised that my girlfriend was not excited to see me after I travelled lol

·
Super Moderator
7,709 Posts
Maybe he was feeling relief rather than excitement.Whew!Now back to my normal routine:)

Reactions: huntergreen

·
Registered
11,422 Posts
Deja is the same way, her breeder brings her out, releases her and she jumps into her car crate without greeting me. I have the door open for her so she won't kil herself jumping into the crate door. She is just happy to go home. Remember that GSDs are not like Goldens or humans. I also never make a big deal out of seeing her so she won't either.

·
Registered
421 Posts
That one's easy. When you board a dog, you know you're coming back for him. The dog does not. Some dogs don't worry, but others--especially really loyal breeds like GSDs, and rescue dogs that have been dumped before--figure that you have abandoned them. And they let you know they are displeased when you return.

Here's a great example of a rescue dog showing his displeasure after his owner picked him up after she "abandoned" him for dental treatment at the vet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=TGbFnl65MBs

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
My husband dropped off Rumo for boarding once and when we got him back, for the entire week after boarding, he never lifted his paw to ask for a tummy/chest rub from my husband. My husband was so disturbed that now he always makes ME drop off Rumo for boarding, LOL.

I think some dogs do seem to hold a bit of a grudge!

The very first time after we picked him up from boarding, Rumo was nuts - whining, howling, groaning, jumping all over...apparently he thought we had given him up and he was back at the "Shelter". But ever since that first time, he has figured out that we do come back - so he runs out happily and heads for the car. ( He could probably win a medal in an agility trial for how fast he makes it to the car and leaps into the backseat! That, to me, is a sign that he's happy to go home!)

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
My cat would hold a grudge when we would go away he would act a little distant for some time but he would get over it. My chihuahua will not go up to my ex he use to be very close with him. After our separation and when he came to pick up the kids up for the first time - topper actually barked at him and he is not that nippy type dog but acted as if he was a stranger. It was only a week since he saw home last. He was angry tried to jump at my hands at him. It was not normal behavior. He still does not go up to him and it has been two years plus. He will get scooped by him as I know he misses Tipper but Topper will look miserable and take off in his crate when he got the chance and give him dissatisfied looks across the room. It is very interesting to see this change in behavior towards a once very loved family member and over such a long period of time. He will take treats from him now but that took along time for him to do this and that’s about it. He will not hand his heart over. Dogs do carry grudges. I have not met such loyal dog ever and let his feeling be known.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I could think of a few different reasons why that might have happened. A lot depending on what they did with him while you were gone, what kind of boarding place is it. I've seen dogs get definitely traumatized by boarding and I'm not surprised considering some of the conditions they are kept in. It can be deafeningly loud for hours on end, smells overwhelming to human senses, never mind dogs. Many dogs stressed and the others smell it and hear it.

If he hasn't been out much or he hasn't been out to the location where he reunited with you he could have been quite overwhelmed and distracted by all the new dog smells there and just being outside.

Dogs are often exhausted after boarding. I had a pair get sent to a kennel I have a very low opinion of because I was full. I wish I had known he was going to send them there, I would have tried to get him to choose better. But I didn't know till after. They were quite different the next time I had them. I do think they were traumatized at the other place. I know what it's like there, i've been there, and no way would I let my dog within a mile of it. Sadly, their website looks kind of nice and believable. I picked a dog up from there as a favor to someone and saw where he was...NASTY

There is definitely not always a horror story attached because I do have one dog who boards here who is pretty aloof when his owner comes and we take very good care of our dogs, and I know he is well loved and cared for at home. He's just like that.

·
Registered
866 Posts
17 months old. I've had him for 15 months. I've left him twice at boarders for 2 weeks each time. When I went to pick him up the first time, he grabbed my hand with his mouth, didn't bite down, just held it in his mouth and growled. Then released my hand. Then grabbed it again and growled again. Then he ran into my car and did exactly like that dog in the YouTube video...wouldn't look at me at all. Got home and greeted everyone enthusiastically but wouldn't approach me until I came with his favorite treat. For the rest of that day, he wouldn't leave my side. He would sit next to me and lean on me.

The 2nd time, didn't grab my hand, but did show his displeasure at me...and again, wouldn't look at me the whole car ride back. Got home, checked out his territory and then finally came to me with some whining and ears back.

I truly believe that my dog is mad at me for leaving him with strangers.

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts
I see this a lot when people pick their dogs up after B&T. It does seem to be worse with GSDs. I kind of attribute it to spending an extended time with me, having a bunch of fun several times a day while training, and getting to hang out with my dogs in between training sessions.

Not many people spend much quality time with their dogs. If they did, they wouldn't typically be with me for B&T.

I am not saying that is the case with anyone in this thread. We are typically fairly committed owners around here.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see this a lot when people pick their dogs up after B&T. It does seem to be worse with GSDs. I kind of attribute it to spending an extended time with me, having a bunch of fun several times a day while training, and getting to hang out with my dogs in between training sessions.

Not many people spend much quality time with their dogs. If they did, they wouldn't typically be with me for B&T.

I am not saying that is the case with anyone in this thread. We are typically fairly committed owners around here.
I can imagine that especially if it was a very fun environment relatively speaking. Not the case here. It was a pretty bland boarding especially that the dogs are allowed very little outdoor time (besides these big play rooms) given the weather.

It think the experience stressed him out. He is now very affectionate but still out of sorts somewhat. I will have to rethink boarding when I travel next, but I m worried also with a pet sitter more than a facility....

Hate seeing him stressed out..

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One thought - Do you tell your dogs you will be back and when you will be back?
I don't as I read that it is better to not make it a big deal. I wish he could understand if I tell him I will be back in a few days....I also read about someone who mentions I will be back in an hour, or few hours....maybe they get it at some point if one is consistent....? Maybe it should the opposite and making a good bye signalling a come back somehow....

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Hmmm, yesterday he ate normal but today he ate nothing and has some runs. He also has little energy.

First time ever, he climbs into the bed next to me and is sleeping deeply. I even covered him some.

Gonna keep watching the appetite. By tomorrow morning, it woud be a 24 hour fast. When should I got to the vet? I wait and see how he does tomorrow? Could it be all stress?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,624 Posts
It sounds like stress. He should settle back in. I wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary. Just go on with "normal".

I've seen some very stable working dogs go through this when deploying to the sandbox. It takes them a couple weeks to get back on their game.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts